free website stats program Engine diagnostic light does not always come on when you first turn on ignition | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine diagnostic light does not always come on when you first turn on ignition

WaltGrosch

I just purchased a 2011 FLSTC with the smart security system installed and when I turn the ignition on, sometimes the engine diagnostic light comes on for 4 seconds like it should, sometimes 1 second, most of the time it never comes on. Also, when the key fob is not near the bike and I turn on the ignition it "says" EN*ER PIN, where the * is actually an unside down F instead of a T. The dealer replaced the body control module, but it made no difference. Harley is stumped. Anyone else have a similar problem?

I agree with Glider the dealer should have set the security upon delivery they should of asked you for a 5 digit pin # to set your fobs and security.

Sounds to me that MOCO is making these touring bikes so high tech even the dealers don't know how to work on them .

Sounds to me that MOCO is making these touring bikes so high tech even the dealers don't know how to work on them .

Amen to that. I have seen some issues on bikes when I visited the dealer that left me scratching my head why the tech didn't know what was causing it.

When I first got the bike the diagnostic light came on everytime I started the bike. It wasn't until I had 300 miles on the bike that I realized the security system wasn't working! I took it to the dealer, he enabled it, set their own pin, then the trouble started with the diagnostic light. I did set the pin to my own personal pin but it made no difference.

You have a 2011 and that is a different animal. But... if you perform a WOW test and try to read codes, do you receive any "noRSP" replies from any reporting devices? If you do have any DTC's,, what are they.

OK, the dealer replaced the BCM, no difference, then they replaced the speedometer?, no difference, then the replaced the ECM, no difference. They said Harley will work on it and let them know.

OK, the dealer replaced the BCM, no difference, then they replaced the speedometer?, no difference, then the replaced the ECM, no difference. They said Harley will work on it and let them know.

Wow, interesting bug for sure. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. On the 2011's, the difference between "ignition" and "accessory" is a fixed 200 ohms resistance built into the ignition switch due to the HDLAN design. I have this funny feeling that......:):)

Back