free website stats program Engine damage due to carb bolts | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine damage due to carb bolts

YES..... and has happened, the bolts holding the backing plate to the carb can and will be swallowed by the engine, Always use blue locktight on them and dont leave them loose.

This can happen ,its rare and loctite would be the insurance for it not to happen, and yes the meatal is weak so the backing plate screws are easy to strip if you over tighten , I always use blue loctite when assembling the aircleaner backing plate to the carb , The S&S /zenith/bendix carb body assemblys is designed with the screws inside the filter diameter to secure the backing plate , So I am assuming your carbuerator was one of the 3 mentioned above. I assume youve done some good top end damage , Well look at it as a excuse to do a nice big inch build on your bike .

This actuallly happend to a friend of mine on another board. He wound up having to get a new top end.

I believe when reading an S&S carb rebuilding procedure they recommend Locktite for hardware fasteners and a cautionary note explaining the possibility of it loosening and being sucked into the throat can cause engine damage.

Back