free website stats program engine cuts off | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

engine cuts off

Your problem sounds as if it is a fuel delivery problem. I would drain and clean out the tank, and check the screen on the petcock, fuel lines and clean out the float bowl and the inlet needle and seat.
That would then eliminate fuel delivery as a source and more than likely eliminate the problem.

Doing one without the other will only cause more work down the road.

And while in tank look closely at feed lines for cracks or splits...
Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts - Harley Davidson Community

I had a similar problem years back on my 2000 FXDS... The vacuum on off valve was to blame.... Installed new on and problem solved.... Not saying to JUST get a new one BUT check IF it holds vacuum... I checked mine with another soft hose and drew vacuum with mouth and pinched it off as gas ran from open line into a container.... Soon it Quit running as the vacuum bled (leaked off) .. You could replace with a Pringle manual valve BUT remember YOU'LL have to Shut It OFF each time you turn OFF the ignition..

I'd prefer the Original Vacuum one for the safety of shutting down the fuel...

signed....BUBBIE

There's also been problems like this related to the vacuum line that goes to the fuel petcock being rotted or cracked.

While your riding and it starts to sputter and stop try loosening the gas cap. This is probably a fuel problem and one of the things I have seen is the gas cap vents are plugged or the vent line is pinched.

Thanks guys for the info, turns out the recall was not done on this bike so hopefully this will fix the problem.....I will post after the results!

Ethanol gas eats rubber and loosens varnish in the tank and in the carb bowl and will clog up fuel system. My 89 FLH did the same thing, the fuel filter was half clogged so the carb float bowl wasn't staying full or the tank vent or gas cap vent isn't letting air in to the tank to replace the fuel going out.

I wonder if someone is gonna come out with a rubber to withstand that, flex-fuel systems have plastic lines.. Man anything for these people to make money, it all ends up on our shoulders to deal, ok off the box again in here, the next sentence aint gonna fly.... I digress, again.:(

What recall , fill us in..

Fuel Diaphragm Recall
You can verify this recall by calling Harley-Davidson (customer information line) at 414-343-4056

Harley-Davidson is recalling 1996/1997 motorcycles (manufactured before Oct. 1, 1997) with the vacuum operated petcock, for a defective vacuum operated fuel diaphragm. This diaphragm is located in the fuel petcock, and can cause symptoms like vapor lock in the fuel system; it can cause your bike to just plain stop, or not to run after it's been parked for a bit. It only affects 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997 models, nothing earlier.

"Under certain circumstances the diaphragm located in the vacuum operated fuel valve becomes dislodged within the valve body. This primarily happens when the motorcycle has been started with the valve in the OFF position and is left that way until the motorcycle dies, or, the motorcycle is run until it dies before switching to reserve. It may also happen when the motorcycle has been running on poor quality fuel; this fuel causes a reaction with the material the diaghram is made of."

"This recall affects 94 dresser models (FLT family) and all other 95, 96 and 97 models produced before 10-96...."

"The repair is quite simple, it simply involves the replacement of the diaphragm with one of better quality. It only take about 20 mins and doesn't require the replacement of the entire valve."

It is still recommended that anyone owning a m/c that is affected with this recall return to their servicing dealer for repair. The valve itself is a good idea, simply it prevents the flow of fuel while the motorcycle is not running, which if you know what happens to a motor that has had an excessive amount of gas poured into it, it is cheap insurance, seeing how any m/c with a carb is subject to this hidden danger."

I had an 07 Fatboy that did that cutoff while motoring along, to me several times, turned out it was a very slightly loose wire under the socket where the system relay plugged in. Once soldered tight I have never had the problem again. Check all electrical stuff before digging into your fuel lines and tank.

Petcock may be going bad. They are vacuum operated and if you are riding at a high altitude you may not have enough vacuum to keep it open. Also, have seen this problem when the ECM is on the way out.

Back