free website stats program engine cuts off | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

engine cuts off

I want to tag onto this post because my 96 fatboy is having the same issue but it doesn't matter about the speed it just picks a time and looses all power. 70 mph on the interstate or 35 around the neighborhood. Needless to say this has really made me leary of riding becuase the interstate issue caused me to have to swap over 3 very busy lanes of traffic while coasting to a stop and let it sit for a few minutes before I could start it and then try to re-enter the busy interstate. I have checked the battery connections. When it starts to shut down I try throttling and it will sputter a few times and then completely shut down. I am new here and not a mechanic by any means so any help would be greatly appreciated because I really miss riding my bike!

Man, there so many variables, I've dealt with this issue a few times and have never had 2 alike..

Since yours is an older bike, the tank issue and checking the petcock screen would be a easy place to begin.

Have you ever tried turning the ignition on and off while coasting to see if its possibly there? Dunno just some thoughts here..

Thanks for the quick reply War Horse I haven't tried turning the ignition on and off but I will definitely give it a try the next time it happens. It would be nice if there was a consistency to when it would happen but it's like there are little gremlins in there just waiting for me to get comforatable before they act up.

it just picks a time and looses all power.
stop and let it sit for a few minutes before I could start it

This may be a little different because to me " looses all power" means Electrical power unlike what the OP is experiencing. If you mean electrical power, I would focus on those self resetting circuit breakers that were used back then. The fact you need to let it cool down indicates a CB could be your problem in this case. I would change them out to Maxi fuses.

I want to tag onto this post because my 96 fatboy is having the same issue but it doesn't matter about the speed it just picks a time and looses all power. 70 mph on the interstate or 35 around the neighborhood. Needless to say this has really made me leary of riding becuase the interstate issue caused me to have to swap over 3 very busy lanes of traffic while coasting to a stop and let it sit for a few minutes before I could start it and then try to re-enter the busy interstate. I have checked the battery connections. When it starts to shut down I try throttling and it will sputter a few times and then completely shut down. I am new here and not a mechanic by any means so any help would be greatly appreciated because I really miss riding my bike!

The first spring that i had with my 92 softail i had similar symptoms where engine would cut out after the throttle had been closed on opening the throttle again it would splutter then die i would sit at the side of the road for a few minutes and it would start and run ok after a wee while i worked it out to be carb icing (the moisture in the air freezing to ice as the fuel is vaporised) the jets would be blocked by ice when sitting at the side of the road the heat from the engine would rise and melt the ice

Brian

T is on the mark here with the fuel. If you twist the throttle a few times while coasting to a stop does it make any difference? Do all the lights and everything still work when it shuts down? New handlebars maybe? Kill switch on the right handle bar may have a pinched wire or corroded connection.
We'll get it figured out, just hang in there and welcome to THE forum.

Bodeen

Man, there so many variables, I've dealt with this issue a few times and have never had 2 alike..

Since yours is an older bike, the tank issue and checking the petcock screen would be a easy place to begin.

Have you ever tried turning the ignition on and off while coasting to see if its possibly there? Dunno just some thoughts here..

Tried turning the ignition on and off with no change. Also noticed a lot of sputtering which sounds more like a fuel problem but still had to sit for about 5 mins, before it would start back up. so that part sounds electrical. Lights stay on. This is driving me nuts, what a nice night out to try and get a little ride in but it left me stranded twice in a short period of time so back in the garage she went. Does this give a better idea. I will try to get the new breakers and change them out.

Thanks to everyone that has tried to help so far.

i guess it could be many different things so i better get to work and start eliminating a few. i will start with the easy ones ex. check fuel tank,battery connection, pinched wires.. probably take it out and test it on the weekend. thanks for the help - keep you posted

Your problem sounds as if it is a fuel delivery problem. I would drain and clean out the tank, and check the screen on the petcock, fuel lines and clean out the float bowl and the inlet needle and seat.
That would then eliminate fuel delivery as a source and more than likely eliminate the problem.

Doing one without the other will only cause more work down the road.

Back