free website stats program engine cuts off | Harley Davidson Forums

engine cuts off

TKLA

I have a 2000 Harley Fatboy, 1450 carb, 8000 miles. No problems riding under 40/50 mph but if i go faster - ex. freeway ,my engine cuts off. It is random. Sometimes i go 70+ for a while and have no problem or it can cut off anytime. pretty annoying and dangerous. The speedometer needle goes slowly back down while the bike slows down. there is no engine sputtering. i have to pull over and it starts up again.
Thanks for your help

Hey noticed 1st post, welcome to the forum. I don't know much adout 2000 ft boys but I am sure the pro's will be along to ask for more info good luck.

TKLA welcome to the forum.

Are you the original owner and has there been any upgrades, changes or repairs to the bike recently? Give us a little more background on it as far as upgrades, etc.

A good place to start would be to pull the codes.
00-03 HD Codes And Activation - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Also check all your electrical connections, especially your battery cables (both ends), and make sure they are clean and tight. Using some dialectric grease on them is always a good idea. If all looks good so far perform a wiggle test with the wires for your ignition switch while the bike is running and see if the problem happens. Check for any corrosion within the ignition switch and the kill switch.

Hope this helps, let us know what you find.

I recently went through a similar problem with my 06 classic, it was a connetion problem with coil wires. I suggest taking off the tank and seat to inspect all wires and connections. Also look for worn insulation on wires. Good luck!
WAP.gif

T is on the mark here with the fuel. If you twist the throttle a few times while coasting to a stop does it make any difference? Do all the lights and everything still work when it shuts down? New handlebars maybe? Kill switch on the right handle bar may have a pinched wire or corroded connection.
We'll get it figured out, just hang in there and welcome to THE forum.

Bodeen

Welcome aboard,

Also a thought, I had a bike that someone did the inner tank coating (liner) to, and at higher speeds the loose sheets of stuff would suck to the petcock screen, once the engine quits the sheet would float away.

Grab a flashlight and take a quick look in the tank and rule that in or out. Its a fast thing to do.

I have a 2000 Harley Fatboy, 1450 carb, 8000 miles. No problems riding under 40/50 mph but if i go faster - ex. freeway ,my engine cuts off. It is random. Sometimes i go 70+ for a while and have no problem or it can cut off anytime. pretty annoying and dangerous. The speedometer needle goes slowly back down while the bike slows down. there is no engine sputtering. i have to pull over and it starts up again.
Thanks for your help

*Twin Cam CV Carb Rejet Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community I assume it to be a stock C V carb?

T is on the mark here with the fuel. If you twist the throttle a few times while coasting to a stop does it make any difference? Do all the lights and everything still work when it shuts down? New handlebars maybe? Kill switch on the right handle bar may have a pinched wire or corroded connection.
We'll get it figured out, just hang in there and welcome to THE forum.

Bodeen

I want to tag onto this post because my 96 fatboy is having the same issue but it doesn't matter about the speed it just picks a time and looses all power. 70 mph on the interstate or 35 around the neighborhood. Needless to say this has really made me leary of riding becuase the interstate issue caused me to have to swap over 3 very busy lanes of traffic while coasting to a stop and let it sit for a few minutes before I could start it and then try to re-enter the busy interstate. I have checked the battery connections. When it starts to shut down I try throttling and it will sputter a few times and then completely shut down. I am new here and not a mechanic by any means so any help would be greatly appreciated because I really miss riding my bike!

Back