free website stats program Engine Cuting out during acceleration | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Cuting out during acceleration

When it started with this condition, I added the fuel pak hoping that was the problem.. it made a significant improvement in smoothness of the engine but had no effect on the cutting out and stumble....

If there are no pin holes in the fuel line try putting seafoam in the tank and run it through.

I took off the fuel cap and turned the ignition on and didn't hear any strange noise after the fuel pump shut off.. Is there anything else I need to do to verify the pinhole in the fuel lines?

Check at about 1/2 tank. Open the cap and look in when you turn on the ignition and the fuel pump cycles. If the fuel swishes in the tank you have holes in the high pressure line.

Just for grins run the codes if there is that much of a problem I would expect to see a code show up

Jack when my fuel line went in Louisianna The check engine light would come on but it never threw any codes. I checked at every fuel stop and New Orleans HD tried to pull codes when I got there and they were amazed that there were no stored codes.

Jack when my fuel line went in Louisianna The check engine light would come on but it never threw any codes. I checked at every fuel stop and New Orleans HD tried to pull codes when I got there and they were amazed that there were no stored codes.

I guess the Delphi system aint as smart as most cars, they would throw a code for something to do:s

Other than the pipes and fuel pack, what other mods does the engine have.
You said you changed the coil. The injected 2004 has ion-sense knock retard. You installed a New Genuine HD coil?

When bike is cold, and hopefully in a darken garage, have a spray bottle with water in it. Start bike mist wires and coil throttle up rpm's and see if you see plugs or wires shorting to ground.... If no problem found, get some WD-40 and spray around intake manifold at rpm that causes miss and see if spraying WD49 straightens bike up then you will know there is some type of intake leak. Just a thought......

No other mods.. everything else is stock..It has always ran perfect until one day on a rough country road it started this problem and has continued. Since I left the HD shop, I have noticed that the engine light quit coming on at start up...don't know if that means anything... I replaced the coil with an aftermarket one ... Im going out to the garage to try some of the suggestions and will post the results later.. Thanks everyone for the help!

Back