free website stats program engine clanging | Harley Davidson Forums

engine clanging

AZDave

I am coming to the great well of knowledge once again my friends. I have only had a HD for about 9 months. She had 5 miles on her when I bought it and when I had the 1000 miles service done and asked the service department these same questions I am asking you. As of today she has 1900 miles on her. I came from my training bike I call her, a 750 Honda that made no engine noise so I have nothing really to compare to. So here is my question, it sounds like the motor is going to explode underneath me at times. It is like there is loose metal banging against metal. In 1st and 2nd gear it seems fine. In 6th over 60 it’s fine, but there is a range between 40 an 60, In 3, 4, and 5 gears that I think the head is going to blow off the bike. When I am riding in a group like today, 20 of us went for a run I cannot hear over the pipes what other bike motors sound like. A friend tonight who has ridden for years said that it is just the slop in the valve tolerance and they all do it. It’s still under warranty and at 900 miles ago the dealer said it was fine. I think it might be getting worse. Do all V twins sound like they are coming apart at that shift speed? I know we have owned a few cloths washers in my younger years that have made that same noise.

Do you hear the sound under steady state throttle or only when you apply extra throttle to increase your speed or to pass.

I had a metallic banging noise that sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine on my '09 and it drove me crazy for 2 weeks until I found it.

Sit on the bike, engine off and cup your 2 arms under the gas tank, one on each side. Try pulling up with a jerking motion. Can you Duplicate the sound? The front tank mounting bolt was 1/2 turn loose on mine. If that is not it, report back.:p

Like Hobbit says,are you lugging it?.For such a large displacement engine,these things are useless for low rpm riding.As ludicrous as this sounds,my 955cc triple will pull 6th gear at 75 kph(45 odd mph);but DONT try this at home kids on an H-D.

Failing that,have you tried the Primary chain adjustment as outlined in the self help section?A loose primary can also sound like your problem.

That may be it but page 83 of the owners manual says appropriate shifting speeds are
first to second 15
second to third 25
third to fourth 35
fifth to sixth 55
Could I have damaged the engine if I have lugged it some? I need a tech.

while the manual says thats shift speeds its lugging it .. yes it can damage if you keep doing it..

i shift by sound but will say i dont hit 6th till over 60 ... i uaully wont hit 5th till 50 strech all them #s out a bit

Dave,

I agree with all of these guys advice, it sounds like detonation to me which may be caused by lugging the engine, poor quality fuel or even a bad spark plug/plugs.

Dump some octane boost in your scoot and ride it like you stole it.....let us know if the sound goes away.

Dave,

I agree with all of these guys advice, it sounds like detonation to me which may be caused by lugging the engine, poor quality fuel or even a bad spark plug/plugs.

Dump some octane boost in your scoot and ride it like you stole it.....let us know if the sound goes away.

What is the name of this octane boost, and where do you buy it?

Dave,

it sounds like detonation to me which may be caused by lugging the engine, poor quality fuel or even a bad spark plug/plugs.

I thought the same thing but on an '09 the Ion knock retard should kick in. That knock should only be present for a second or two.
That's why I went with something other than spark advance. (?)

Back