free website stats program engine builder in North Dakota or Montana? | Harley Davidson Forums

engine builder in North Dakota or Montana?

mlemay

I currently live in Sidney, MT, near the eastern border of the state. All of the engine builders I have heard of are very far away. Does anyone know any good engine builders in Montana or North Dakota? Maybe South Dakota or eastern Wyoming?

I'm thinking of getting a 98" big bore kit with ported heads and cams to reach the 100tq/100hp range on my 2004 FLHRS.

You doing the wrenching or are you looking for turn key?

I was thinking about doing the wrenching if I didn't have to drive it too far to get it tuned afterwards. Turn key might be better because it would get tuned right away.

If you are going to do the wrenching. I would suggest a few of the more popular machine shop/builders that you ship your parts to and let them do the machine work and send them back to you. Scott Palmer-Hillside Cycles, Don Dorfman HD Street Performance, or Kirby Apathy- Vee Twin Performance. I would call each before I made my decision and discuss your goals. You will come away from those phone conversations with your choice.

Cant help you locally. But I can speak from experience about Scott at Hillside and your exact build. Great guy, great work.

Thank you for the input. I will call them soon.
Can I ask the details of your build experience with Hillside?

98" with his stage II heads w/comp releases, and a set of 57 cams. I sent him cylinders and heads. He sent back cylinders, heads, pistons, rings, cams, gaskets, pr's, etc. I swapped out the ignition control too. I ended up just shy of 100hp and 113 torque. I opted to go lighter on the compression or these numbers could have gone higher. I also am limited a bit by my TD exhaust. I could chase the numbers higher I'm sure, but you have to decide when to stop throwing money at small numbers.......

Give these guy's a call. Its what they do for a living and they are good at it. You have to know what you are trying to obtain before making the call. If you are set on your goals, you will have no problems with one of the aforementioned shops.

Back