free website stats program ENG light comes on while riding | Harley Davidson Forums

ENG light comes on while riding

dcollie3

Hi all. I just bought my first dream bike (1998 Road King Classic) with a stage 2, sceaming eagles etc. I took it out for a good scoot yesterday and while crusing at 70 mph the ENG light came on and the bike seemed to loose power for a few seconds and then resumed as it nothing happened. This happend a few times. A couple of times it seemed to loose power and a few time the light came on but didn't seem to loose power. I've read a few of the threads relating to engine lights but I'd like to get other optinions.

Thanks, ridge-walker

I had something similar happen to me last summer, returning from the Ohio HOG Rally in Sandusky, Ohio. My bike, a 2001 Road King Police bike was fine all weekend until I got on the Ohio turnpike. My engine light came on, and the bike seemed to "lose power." I pulled off, shut it down and checked battery connections etc. Went to start it back up....nothing. Long story short, had to trailer the bike home (thank goodness for friends with a trailer.) Turns out the stator was bad and wasn't keeping the battery charged. Dead battery=no ride. Hope this helps.

Hi all. I just bought my first dream bike (1998 Road King Classic) with a stage 2, sceaming eagles etc. I took it out for a good scoot yesterday and while crusing at 70 mph the ENG light came on and the bike seemed to loose power for a few seconds and then resumed as it nothing happened. This happend a few times. A couple of times it seemed to loose power and a few time the light came on but didn't seem to loose power. I've read a few of the threads relating to engine lights but I'd like to get other optinions.

Thanks, ridge-walker

The only other options are to see if there is a code stored and what it means. Try this.

00-03 HD Codes And Activation - Harley Davidson Community

If it hasn't been done for a while, or if your unsure about if it's been done it wouldn't hurt or cost too much to go down and get a new set of plugs and wires and put them on to start with if you don't have any luck finding codes.

If your fuel pump loses pressure it would give you the symptoms you are describing,including the engine light and occasional loss of power.I would check the fuel filter ,it is an 11yr. old bike and you don't know if it has been serviced or what has been dumped in the tank over the years

Hi it is a FI and it did happen again yesterday. I do plan to take it to the shop for a good tune up and I'll ask them to replace plugs and wires.

hey guys just did a check of codes and i am coming up with a 16 witch to my knowledge is low or high voltage so does this mean in the battery or charging system?i am going out to check battery with a meter now but was hoping to get this solved tonight i will get back with batt. reading!!!!!!!!

Back