Electrics shut bike down at 7000rpm

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by hjddrill, Jun 16, 2010.

1. hjddrill

hjddrill New Member

Hi all. Can anyone help. The engine in my shovel frame is a FLX 1984 kick start.
    The bike starts fine. After warming up i slowly increase rpm then at around 7000rpm the bike shuts down. It dose not miss it just dies. When riding the same thing happens. The bike shuts down for about 5 seconds and then starts again because i am in motion. It has to be electrical i believe.

Cheers

2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

How much Above 7000 RPM do you want to go?

3. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's electrical...could something be starving the air, or fuel mix at high RPM & it's allowing the engine to cutoff?

4. hjddrill

hjddrill New Member

I am only estemating 7000rpm as i dont have a tacko. But it is basiclly giving the bike a gut full to pass a car. It has always run fine and only just started doing this.

I think it must be i have checked the basics of full and air and it seams ok. Do you know a way to test this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010
  5. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I agree. Most ignition systems do have some type of limiter. Are you running a stock ignition? If not, what are you running. What type of trigger system does it have. (points, hall effect, light chopper, reluctance, etc) Need some info.