free website stats program Electrical? | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical?

AndyG

when i downshift or brake heavy, my headlight dims and speedo goes out. Lasts for about 30 seconds or when i accelerate. Now my taillight and brake light are out. bulb is good. Any suggestions or comments about this problem?

Well you may want to pull out the battery and load test it. On a '97 your probably a single phase charging system so don't expect much at idle. I therefore would suspect a weak battery/ poor battery cable connections or poor battery ground..

Once you know your battery is Good, strap a voltmeter across the battery and measure the voltage at idle and at 2500 RPM. Don't believe what you read on the meter until you know the battery is AOK.

First thing to do an any problem that has power going off is to ensure the battery cables are secure and clean not just at the battery end but also the other end

Brian

Well you may want to pull out the battery and load test it. On a '97 your probably a single phase charging system so don't expect much at idle. I therefore would suspect a weak battery/ poor battery cable connections or poor battery ground..

Once you know your battery is Good, strap a voltmeter across the battery and measure the voltage at idle and at 2500 RPM. Don't believe what you read on the meter until you know the battery is AOK.

Best place to start is the source always, Like Hoople said:s

Back