free website stats program Electrical woes on my 883 | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical woes on my 883

Baggh

I have an '06 XL 883. All electrical components have been working fine since I got the bike about 4 months ago.

I changed out the handgrips last night... this morning my electrical components are acting up.

turn signals\ speedometer\ horn doesn't work.

signal lights were on as well as the headlight until I used the low beam switch to test the umm.. switches. This disabled these lights for some reason... they no longer come on.

tach still has juice as well as the nuetral light and such.

Any ideas? Think I may have pinched somewires putting on the handgrips... just need to jimmy them around a bit? Are there fuses on these these things?

Sorry for all the potentially newb questions but I had to jump in the truck and get to work. I didn't have any time to wrench on this to trouble shoot it. Figured someone on here may have some ideas that I will try once I get home tonight.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Would crimping thewires effect the speedo? Everything else that is wrong makes sense.. but... the speedo has me scratchin my... ... ... head.

Hey Hobbit... thanks for the chime. Ok... I am going to sound like an uber newb but... codes? I spoke with Harley and they stated that it happens more often than one might think in their shop that they will remove the bar switch housings... replace them and have the same problem. The techie recommended removing the housings... jimmy them around and replace... this may work. If not check the fuses.

thanks Hobbit.. I printed out the info and will use it when I get home tonight. Appreciated :)

This may be a silly question, but did you disconnect the negative cable cable before making the change?

The reason I ask is becuase I have seen cases where people didn't and they shorted out the turn signal module. Besure to double check your fuses. All it takes is grounding a hot to the handle bar to cause problems...

hey all.. thanks for the suggestions\ chimes\etc.

When i got in last night I opened the housing and wiggled them around... put back on. Nothing.

I checked the fuses and there it is... Lamps and Accesories fuses were blown. So yep... bad ground when I replaced the housings. Not sure how cause i did this before a few months ago with no problems... I didn't force them on or anything. Bad luck I guess.

So I picked up some fuses this morning on my way into work... I'll get it all back together tonight when I get in. I'll be sure to follow up with you guys with the results in case anyone else gets this situation.

thanks

Ok... all fixed up :) Once again... thanks for everyone's recommendations and suggestions.

the culprit turned out to be a crimped wire... it was crimped a tad under the clutch mount.

First I replaced the fuses... jimmy'd the housings... everythign came on then immediately blew the fuses.

I replaced the fuses...

I then narrowed down the problem by mounting "just" the housings... everything worked. So I mounted the housings w\ handgrips... everything working. So it had to be when I mounted the clutch. I took a closer look and yep... the wires were being crimped when i put on the clutch. Its has been this way for awhile I guess because the wires were... well... molded in the shape of being in there for awhile.

Anyway... problem isolated and solved.

Thanks again for all your help.

I will post new pics tomorrow. Since my last pics that I posted here I had the rims and rear sprocket powder coated black, nightser fork boots added, and added new handgrips and pegs. Its coming together nicely I think.

Back