free website stats program Electrical Trouble | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Trouble

poohbear

I have a 2009 Crossbones with about 3500 miles on it. I keep loseing everthing on the dash, the speedo, the little 6, it all shuts down. It also dies once I stop but restarts right away. Dealer has replaced relays, ECU and miss with a few other thing, works for a short time then does it again and If I leave it overnight everthing is ok for a short time. Sometimes when this happens it 'POPS' out of the aircleaner. Like it is out of time. I feel that something is grounding out and shorting out the system. It does have Vance & Hines pipes on it which the dealer put on over 2000 miles ago but this just rstarted happening a few weeks ago. All I can say is thank god for warrantys. Any ideas what to do next?

My 07 was doing similar and when it would die the speedo and tach. would stay excactly at the speed and rpm it was at when it shut down.Turned out to be the positive terminal at the battery was only getting an intermittent connection. I removed both terminals ,cleaned them with a bit of sandpaper and reinstalled,havent had a problem since.

I'll tell them to try that, what ever happen to the go old days. My first bike, in the 70's, was a 65 panhead..3 wires to the headlight, 2 to the taillight a few more going to the genie, starter and Battery, Bam your wired and ready to go, i miss that old panhead. Isn't technology just fricken great!!!

UPDATE: dealer missed with the Battery Terminals nothing wrong there swapped somemore relays and reorked the ECM. Still the same runs great for 25-50 miles then Bam it starts to act up again, speedo dies, backfires....they said they'll have to call HD!

Intermittant problems...especially electrical ones....are absolutely the worst to pinpoint.
I suspect a bad connection somewhere....a little corrosion on a pin, a loose pin in a socket...or one not seated properly...who knows!
When these problems persist, you almost have to start at one point, and go over EVERY connector and every bit of harness until you find the bad spot.
Problem is, lots of times it may be so insignifigant that you may go right by it and never notice it.
Don't forget, you are working with very low current / voltage connections and the least little disturbance will interrupt this current flow and cause a problem.

Update: after the dealers replace about everything, they found one of the 'new' sensor was bad. replaced it and we gone. Can you see the smile on my face:). next week a new front tire for the wobby. All I can say thank God for warranty, if this keeps up I'll sell it before the warranty is up.

Back