free website stats program Electrical Trouble Shooting | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Trouble Shooting

Hi boys and gals !

I don't have permission to add a new topic so I am asking my question here.Thanx.
I own a FXD dyna superglide 2002 and last summer my son left the ignition key to the «on» position for several days ( I shouldn't let my ride unattended for so long ) until the battery goes dead. I have rechrged the battery but since that time, the engine is very hard to start. Has that event caused damage to the coil or other components you think ?
Muchas gracias hombres !

Colas

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi boys and gals !

I don't have permission to add a new topic so I am asking my question here.Thanx.
I own a FXD dyna superglide 2002 and last summer my son left the ignition key to the «on» position for several days ( I shouldn't let my ride unattended for so long ) until the battery goes dead. I have rechrged the battery but since that time, the engine is very hard to start. Has that event caused damage to the coil or other components you think ?
Muchas gracias hombres !

Colas
What do you mean very hard to start? could you elaborate a little more?

I would start with having the battery load tested. The full discharge may have taken away it's cranking amps.

I agree with STEVE07 about the battery. Also with Jeff about more info.. Back in the day yes leaving the key/Ign. on for long periods would burn up your coil and the early electronic ign. systems or points. The more modern types(ECM w/ crank sensor don't seem to have that problem. I believe there is a built in safety feature now within the ECM which kills the power to those circuits. I could be wrong though, maybe someone else knows for sure.
tourbox

Hi buddies, when I say hard to start I mean that the engine is turning normally, like b4, battery is full charged. But it seems like there is no electricity going to the plugs.After minutes of cranking it, the engine starts but misfires a lot. More: when the engine is hot, it won't start before having cooled down a bit ( 15-20 minutes ).
Thanks

Hi buddies, when I say hard to start I mean that the engine is turning normally, like b4, battery is full charged. But it seems like there is no electricity going to the plugs.After minutes of cranking it, the engine starts but misfires a lot. More: when the engine is hot, it won't start before having cooled down a bit ( 15-20 minutes ).
Thanks

Sounds like it could be more of a fuel issue. I'm taking a stab in the dark here but have you done a fuel pressure test? Maybe a check and cleaning of the crank position sensor. Just a thought.

Back to the first few responses, I would check out the battery first. Pull it out and take it to AutoZone or O'Reillys and have it load tested. A damaged battery can show full charge but will not deliver the required voltage AND amperage needed by the bike.

If the battery checks out, then follow up with the other suggestions made above.

Cheers,

TQ

Back