electrical system relay

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by TinCanMan, Jun 10, 2010.

1. TinCanMan

TinCanMan New Member

Hello fellow riders. I am in the process of restoring a 1990 Softail. The wiring harness has been altered (only instrument of bike is a speedometer. I reconnected most of the wiring. The problem I have is one of the relays up front clicks every 15 -20 seconds. Any of you seasoned mechanics have any ideas on this? Thanks in advance from wiring deficient rider.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Is it a relay or a breaker. I would get the diagram out and see what it does before you damage the wiring possibly.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

And if it is clicking it may have a short. My brother in law has a 87 softail that has been butchered and had a similar problem, now his HI 4 ignition , coil and Headwinds headlight do not work, follow Gliders advice Electricity is a funny animal and some times it goes Poof, unlike The Boss and his Poof Button, good luck

4. rick1062

rick1062 Active Member

Yeah, I would bet it is a circuit breaker and probably being tripped by something done with the altered wiring.

5. TinCanMan

TinCanMan New Member

Thanks to all for the quick response. Will proceed carefully