free website stats program electrical problems | Harley Davidson Forums

electrical problems

mike38

hi everybody,
I have a 1990 softail custom and I'm having a little problem,
The left blinker doesn't work unless the bike is turned on I think something needs to be replaced .
Also yesterday the right blink didn't work when I went on a drive for a couple hours but normally does work..
I'm a little confused can someone please help?
I'm sure something has to be replaced but I'm not sure what it is.
Please help...
MIKE...:)

hi everybody,
I have a 1990 softail custom and I'm having a little problem,
The left blinker doesn't work unless the bike is turned on I think something needs to be replaced .
Also yesterday the right blink didn't work when I went on a drive for a couple hours but normally does work..
I'm a little confused can someone please help?
I'm sure something has to be replaced but I'm not sure what it is.
Please help...

when you say "turned on" is that meaning it has to be running/started and is it both front and back not working?

I had the same problem. I ended up taking every electrical conncetor loose. Cleaned with contact cleaner, and regreaded with new Elec Grease. Both available at your auto parts house. Make sure you disconnect the batty first

Check the wires that travel through the fender from under the seat. They sometimes come out of the loom and rub through on the tire.

Also like said before, check the bulbs too. Some have a habit of using any bulb that fits in the socket even if it isn't the right one.

Check the wires that travel through the fender from under the seat. They sometimes come out of the loom and rub through on the tire.

Also like said before, check the bulbs too. Some have a habit of using any bulb that fits in the socket even if it isn't the right one.

thanks for the info glider I checked the rear bulb moved it around a little and the dam thing started to work properly.
I'm getting some grease to put on the end of the bulbs it appears that there is none left on the contacts..
Thanks again...

Mike

Make sure the contacts in the socket are free to move a bit or they may not contact the bulb properly.

Glad you found the problem.

Back