free website stats program Electrical Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Problem

Redfide

This morning I turned the key ON on my 2006 Ultra. Everything was fine until I pushed the start button. As soon as I did the entire bike went dark. When I let up on the button nothing came on. I turned the key off and back on and nothing came on. I turned the key to the ACC position and the switches came on very dim. Nothing else worked. I checked all the fuses, there all good. I connected a battery charger and the system powers up, except for the small engine symbol on the tach. I also don't hear the fuel pump running. The bike won't turn over, I get a popping noise comming from under the battery when I try to start with a 50 AMP battery charger connected.

when I try to start with a 50 AMP battery charger connected.

Be careful boosting a jump start from a battery charger. They put out a ton of AC ripple. It can and will toast a voltage regulator, ECM, or TSSM in a flash.

How old is the battery.

Load test that battery, I bet it is bad, always clean and tight and check the connection on the starter it should be clean of corrosion and tight:s

This morning I turned the key ON on my 2006 Ultra. Everything was fine until I pushed the start button. As soon as I did the entire bike went dark. When I let up on the button nothing came on. I turned the key off and back on and nothing came on. I turned the key to the ACC position and the switches came on very dim. Nothing else worked. I checked all the fuses, there all good. I connected a battery charger and the system powers up, except for the small engine symbol on the tach. I also don't hear the fuel pump running. The bike won't turn over, I get a popping noise comming from under the battery when I try to start with a 50 AMP battery charger connected.

WOW!
With a 50 amp charger connected, you're lucky you didn't get a lift off and free ride too. :D
Keep your fingers crossed you didn't damage anything with that charger.

Remove and clean then reinstall the battery connections and see what you get. Neg off first and on last. It is isn't that, it sounds like a bad battery. You may want to have it load tested and/or replaced.

Battery was original OEM from Aug 2005. I had it tested at Harley and it was bad. Installed new battery, cleaned the termials and all is well. Thanks

Back