free website stats program electrical problem | Harley Davidson Forums

electrical problem

johnnyeng

Hi, I hope you can help me. I have an electrical problem with my 07 Harley Road king classic. My neutral light was staying on when I was riding and something was draining power from my battery when the bike was off. My bike is currently at my local Harley shop being serviced for the problem. They tell me that they ran it through the diagnostic machine and it came back with a faulty ground and/or a live wire that is draining power from my battery. My bike has been in the shop for almost 2 weeks and the only thing they found so far was continuous power going to the oil plug even when the bike was off. They ruled out the neutral switch and the oil plug as the problem and they are continuously checking wires through out the bike for faulty grounds and live wires. The service worker tells me that the mechanic can look at my bike for only a couple of hours a day because they have to allow the mechanic to service other bikes. I am getting a little frustrated because there seems like there is no end in sight. I feel that my bike is not getting enough time with the mechanic or maybe he is not competent to do the work.
Any suggestion on the problem or recommendations? Thanks.
Johnny

Electrical problems are not necessarily difficult, just time consuming. If you decide to take it on and forgo the continous HD dealer drain, get a DMM (Digital Multimeter) or current meter, put it in series with the battery. Remember to follow the battery disconnect sequence to not activate the load alarm (disable alarm setting if in auto enable mode). While hooking the DMM, set it too the highest current setting, then rehook up everything as before...scale it down until you see the discharge current if close to 1A or more you are definitely leaking battery power. Now pull the fuses in the fuse box, one at a time and see if one of the fused circuits is the cause.

At this point if you can remember, what service was done recently prior to the problem rearing it's ugly head. If pulling fuses did not affect leakage, it is probably the regulator, alternator/stator, or starter/solenoid primary wiring, isolating and inspecting the wiring connectors. Hope you have a schematic (in your HD Service Manual).

Thanks for the response Newhd74fan.

I actually did the service myself. I changed all the oils and adjusted my handlebars which i had to go through the headlight. I told the service guy to tell the mechanic about what i did. I am not real knowledgeable with the electrical stuff.
I am going to give the dealer until next week and we will see whats next.

Johnny

Back