free website stats program Electrical Problem with shifter lever on 06 Dyna | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Problem with shifter lever on 06 Dyna

Kjay

I find that when my shifter is jiggled it cuts all the power off on my 06 dyna any ideas? At first I thought maybe a lose wire but after shaking things around that is what I found is there a switch in the tranny? And if so is it hard to get to or should I take it in to Harley, I am mechaniically and electrically incline.

I find that when my shifter is jiggled it cuts all the power off on my 06 dyna any ideas? At first I thought maybe a lose wire but after shaking things around that is what I found is there a switch in the tranny? And if so is it hard to get to or should I take it in to Harley, I am mechaniically and electrically incline.

Huh? I am not followin'. Are you saying that when you jiggle the foot shifter the bike cuts off, or something else? Give us some more info and pix if you can post them yet.

TQ

Huh? I am not followin'. Are you saying that when you jiggle the foot shifter the bike cuts off, or something else? Give us some more info and pix if you can post them yet.

TQ

Yesw that is exactly what is happening at first I found the power was just shutting off while I was riding and after checking I trace the problem to the shifter lever where it goes into the transmission. What is in there that is electrical and can cause a problem like this? All ideas are welcome.

Welcome to the HDT Forum KJAY, you might look for a schematic if we knew the year of your bike it would help. Well, there is the neutral light/switch through some rather twisted way affects your TSSM, ICM or ECM????!!!!! That is a stretch...was there any recent mods to the hand/foot controls or an accessory you may have added to your bike?

Thanks DD, sometimes a good pair of eyes from up North can help a bit...

KJay...maybe this simplified diagram will help, though an HD Service Manual w/ Schematic is much better in details...and a schematic shows things as they should be, but cannot show you where potential shorts or critical areas that could be grounding out near the area in question...

EFIDetail.gif

Last edited:
Try and get the DTC from the speedometer. One of the component is the speed sensor. To get the DTC hold the trip meter button in and turn the ingtion switch on. Then you can pust the trip meter button to check the difference circuits

Thanks but I took it back to the mechanic who worked on it last. He put in an altenator that done the famous for this model and came apart. I didn't know then what Iknow now about this site it would have saved me big bucks. I should hear from him later today as to what is causing the problem. One other thing is that after all I went through I had to get it towed to his house because it wouldn't start. When I got there it started and everything had cleared up and ran normal, no flashing of the instrument panel or cutting off, check engine light or battery light. Everything was just fine. What do you think about that.

Am I missing something.

1- Shifter is jiggled it cuts all the power off on my 06 dyna

2 - He put in an altenator.

Back