free website stats program Electrical problem with FLTC | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical problem with FLTC

garrettg123

I have an 87 Harley FLTC which has an electrical issue I can't figure out. Sometimes when I use either turn signal, all console lights, turns signals, horn, tachometer and brake lights go out. Only the headlight and tail light remain working. This problem comes and goes but usually seems to happen when I use a turn signal. When the problems goes away, everything works fine and bike runs fine with or without the electrical issue. Anyone ever experienced this? Thanks!!

Me id check the turn signal circuit if not blowing fuse its a minor short or a problem in turn sig module..

Hi, it maybe obvious, but check all the electrical connections, especialy the earth/ground wires,on my 91 fltc under the speedometer housing there is an earth/ground connector thats fastened to the anti-dive unit, mine had corroded and caused all kinds of mischief with the indicators.

Check the other side of that ground that goes from the triple tree to the frame/battery. Sounds like a ground problem to me, check the grounds and clean them.

I have an 87 Harley FLTC which has an electrical issue I can't figure out. Sometimes when I use either turn signal, all console lights, turns signals, horn, tachometer and brake lights go out. Only the headlight and tail light remain working. This problem comes and goes but usually seems to happen when I use a turn signal. When the problems goes away, everything works fine and bike runs fine with or without the electrical issue. Anyone ever experienced this? Thanks!!

Electricity is a funny animal, I would check and repair all grounds Losing a ground can cause a feedback problem affecting other circuits, be sure to check the engine is grounded also and the motor mounts are tight

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you I will do that.

It's not blowing any fuses. I will check out the turn signal module.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back