free website stats program Electrical Issues in Texas, Please Help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Issues in Texas, Please Help

I can't post a link because of my low post count, but search for
" manual reset ato circuit breaker " ( yes that is - ato - )

Should be available at most auto parts stores or RV parts locations.

Hey guys thanks so much for your suggestions and commments.. I ended up getting the circuit breaker and have not had a problem since..! If there are other thoughts, ideas or comments please feel free to let me know.. I look forward to maybe meeting and riding with you guys down here in the Lone Star State!! I've been told... Keep The Rubber Side Down!!

Hope you bought the 15 amp circuit breaker and not one of higher amperage.
If you did install the higher amperage CB, you're just going to burn something out as you haven't found the problem.

Arthur, you have gotten some great advice here, I'll just ad this. Electrical 101 Visual inspection, should be exceptionally thourough and also used in conjunction with wiggle testing. Meaning put your hands on EVERYTHING and wiggle it around, dont be overly gentle, you are looking for stuff that is not up to par so if you wiggle a wire or terminal and it breaks it was on its way out anyhow, and better it break at your hands than on the road at night somewhere. That however does not mean to be exceedingly rough either. Your next step is to go over every connection you can get to and pay special attention to your grounds a loose or dirty ground wire will draw excessive current. As you have an aftermarket fairing, that means it was installed after the bike was built and delieverd, there is a good chance it was not wired by a professional, or more acurately in a professional manner. Take a solid look at the installation and if you find ANY of the aftermarket style crimp connectors inpect them thouroughly, they are JUNK and should never be used on your motorcycle, so give some consideration to removeing them and replaceing them with only factory style connectors from the dealer. All of the component pieces are available from the dealer, and yes they are a little more expensive but well worth the piece of mind. I could go on more but I think you get the idea. There are 2 systems on a motorcycle I absolutly refuse to compromise on, the electrical system and the brakes are the 2 areas where no expense should be spared. The electrical system well designed, executed and maintained will go miles towards keeping your bike trouble free and enjoyable. I dont even need to say anymore about your brakes right ?

awesome advice in this thread. I would concur that the circuit breaker has not solved your real issue but may be masking it.

Signal light housings are prone to getting wet inside and corroding the contacts. Inspect all your light contacts by removing the bulbs. And while you have the bulbs out, push some dielectric grease into the sockets before you replace the bulbs. This should keep contacts from getting wet and corroding in the future.

Back