free website stats program Electrical Issues in Texas, Please Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Issues in Texas, Please Help

Arthur10

I have an '02 Road King with an aftermarket fairing and radio..About a week and a half ago I blew a fuse which disabled my turn signals, hazard lights, brake light activation and speedometer. I noticed that the 20 amp fuse was blown, replaced it with the same fuse, it blew. Rplaced it with a 25 amp fuse, lasted a couple of days, it blew. Replaced it with a 30 amp, have not had the trouble since. Will it be OK with the 30 amp fuse and what issue might I be having after two prior fuses have blown?? SMH...:small3d031:

You should find the source for blowing the fuse and never use a higher amp one no matter what.:small3d002: You could do some major damage to other components, even the wiring it's self. Bad idea. Electrical issues can be a real pain but trying the easy route is never a good idea unless it's just removing the item that is causing the problem.

Thanks hogcowboy..This is my first real experience with any kind of electrical issues with replacing fuses and whatnot. Any suggestions on where I should start? I would like to hope it is a small issue and I could fix it myself and not take it to the dealer. This just happened as of recent. I noticed that when I fist changed the fuse, it read accessory and it was a 15 amp circuit that had a 20amp in it. How wuold I know which wires to check?

Check any "pinch point" in the wiring harness, that is any place where the harness is bends sharply,runs through a grommet/connector, etc. Increasing the size of the fuse is never a good thing, good way to burn up the harness or worse yet the bike. A good ohm meter hooked on the problem fuse to ground, with the battery un-hooked and lots of flexing of the entire harness may help isolate the problem. A factory manual will help in finding the right wires.

With key OFF and RUN switch in KILL position, install a 15 fuse in the accessory fuse socket. Once installed, does the fuse blow the moment you turn on the ignition key? If not, does it blow when you turn the RUN switch to the RUN position? If not, does it blow when you step on the REAR brake? If not, does it blow when you put on the FRONT brake? If not, does it blow when you turn on the right turn signal? If not, does it blow when you turn on the left turn signal?
The accessory fuse feeds more devices but see if you can determine what action must be taken in order for the 15 amp to blow.

Hopefully the 15 amp fuse blows. If the fuse holds and does not blow, you might do a visual check under the rear fender for the tire hitting/rubbing the wiring harness. If you have a bike floor jack, jack it up a few inches and take a look.

Thanks hogcowboy..This is my first real experience with any kind of electrical issues with replacing fuses and whatnot. Any suggestions on where I should start? I would like to hope it is a small issue and I could fix it myself and not take it to the dealer. This just happened as of recent. I noticed that when I fist changed the fuse, it read accessory and it was a 15 amp circuit that had a 20amp in it. How wuold I know which wires to check?

As has been suggested try to see what action makes it blow. If none of the usual actions make it blow it's probably something inside the fairing. A wire that's rubbed through. Like I said electrical issues can be a bear to track down. Just go get a bunch of fuses and have at it. Good luck.:bigsmiley23:

Thanks yall for the info. I guess I'll be poppin' fuses instead of collars this weekend:). I just noticed that there are some blue lights under the saddlebags that I hadnt seen before. I'll get to the root cause yet..!

I have an '02 Road King with an aftermarket fairing and radio..About a week and a half ago I blew a fuse which disabled my turn signals, hazard lights, brake light activation and speedometer. I noticed that the 20 amp fuse was blown, replaced it with the same fuse, it blew. Rplaced it with a 25 amp fuse, lasted a couple of days, it blew. Replaced it with a 30 amp, have not had the trouble since. Will it be OK with the 30 amp fuse and what issue might I be having after two prior fuses have blown?? SMH...:small3d031:

Never a good idea to use a higher rated fuse, band aid at best and will cause more problems sooner than later IMO

You can actually get a circuit breaker that will plug into your accessory fuse
socket. They are available in resetable push button format. Handy as a diagnostic tool instead of burning up a hand full of fuses.

Back