free website stats program Electrical issue??? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical issue???

when I installed the VR,

You have to back up a bit and fill in the missing information. At entry point #16 you changed the battery and I thought you rode off into the sunset.
1) When/why did the regulator get changed.
2) With what brand
3) Has a low charging voltage DTC code (P0562) been set or stored.
4) I assume you are basing this charging problem entirely by the volt meter on the dash. Is this true or have you confirmed the charging voltage is low by cross checking the voltage across the battery posts using a handheld DMV.
5) Is this charging problem still highly intermittent,, now a solid failure,,, or happening more frequently.

Final update (hopefully): Tested AC voltage output on my stator today..all three leads were reading around 19.8 volts at 1k RPM..according to the manual that is right where it should be. Based on that, I went and bought a new VR...installed it and, for the first time in a week the voltage gauge is reading 14-15 volts at idle..sweet. New battery and new VR has my charging system back in shape (hopefully). /Thanx for all the help, guys.

Final update (hopefully): Tested AC voltage output on my stator today..all three leads were reading around 19.8 volts at 1k RPM..according to the manual that is right where it should be. Based on that, I went and bought a new VR...installed it and, for the first time in a week the voltage gauge is reading 14-15 volts at idle..sweet. New battery and new VR has my charging system back in shape (hopefully). /Thanx for all the help, guys.

Keep an eye on that stator. They seem to fail together or within a short period of each other.

TQ

My vote is you've found & fixed the problem... Good job. Volt meters are great for monitoring the system....

Best of luck Mark, as TQ pointed out keep an eye on that STATOR

Thanx guys. I wonder what percentage of regulator failures has led to replacement of the stator? Or vice versa. It almost seems like your best best would be to replace all three (battery, regulator and stator) when you have a failure of one. I can see how you can ruin the components on a bike without a voltage gauge but I think I caught this pretty fast, prior to any damage further occurring. The stator is reading 19.8 volts on all three contacts. Is there another test I can perform to CONFIRM the stator is healthy?

Thanx guys. I wonder what percentage of regulator failures has led to replacement of the stator? Or vice versa. It almost seems like your best best would be to replace all three (battery, regulator and stator) when you have a failure of one. I can see how you can ruin the components on a bike without a voltage gauge but I think I caught this pretty fast, prior to any damage further occurring. The stator is reading 19.8 volts on all three contacts. Is there another test I can perform to CONFIRM the stator is healthy?

I had a stator that was putting out nominal voltage at rpm, but it was fried. Some guys have measured the Vac under load using a probe into the wire when all is connected. Another "test" is to take a whiff of the primary fluid through the derby cover or chain inspection cover if you have one. If it smells burnt (you won't have any questions if it is) and the fluid is like black ink, then that may be an indication that some of the stator coils are toast.

TQ

Thanx TQ. I just changed my primary fluid, it was fine, no smell. Manual calls for an ohms test of the stator, I'll do that when I get home.

Back