free website stats program Electrical issue??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical issue???

I agree with all the replies, if you eliminate the ground as a problem then it's gonna be a charging system issue.

I would do a voltage drop test from the Pos battery terminal to the grounding stud. It shouldn't be more than 0.5 volts. Then (if you can get to it) do the same test to back probe on the ECM grd pins (see your manual).

If your grounds are good then is very likely you have a charging issue.

Installing the battery back, I found the ground wire to my TFI was off. Vibration had done a number on the connector. Would that throw a code??

Before my stator died I was experiencing starter problems and I noticed the the engine light would come on after it started. Then one day I was out and tried stating the bike, no start, thought that the battery had died. I got some good guy to give me a push and it fired but my volt meter was showing no charge but I didn't want to kill the engine and pull the fuse for the lights because I wasn't sure that it would restart. I had a 30 mile trip back home and by the time I got back the bike was beginning to run rough and there was absoltly nothing left in the battery, the volt meter was as far to the left as it could go.
Ken

I've put almost 200 miles on the bike since the new battery. Not a single problem..as a matter of fact, it looks like my volt meter is reading a little higher charge at idle than it was before. Anyway, I hope it was just the battery.

Glad you got it solved. In my previous post above I had typed

-> would do a voltage drop test from the Pos battery terminal to the grounding stud<-

Ugh I blew that one, I should have typed from the Neg terminal to the grd stud. Now if you were to check an individual circuit you would then go from pos terminal to the pos side of the circuit item. Again shouldn't be reading much volts at ideally on either of these type test.

I should have thought more while I was typing, or maybe that's the problem.

I hope it was just the battery.

I am not trying to jinx your repair but if the only thing you have done to date is change the battery, the problem may come back to haunt you. I just don't see a weak battery tripping a no charging condition that suddenly snaps back to normal. I see this more as a cracked solder joint (thermal stress & vibration) on the PCB board in the regulator. At the very least, check the quick disconnects at the regulator and the grounding studs spoken about earlier..

I've put almost 200 miles on the bike since the new battery. Not a single problem..as a matter of fact, it looks like my volt meter is reading a little higher charge at idle than it was before. Anyway, I hope it was just the battery.

I am not trying to jinx your repair but if the only thing you have done to date is change the battery, the problem may come back to haunt you. I just don't see a weak battery tripping a no charging condition that suddenly snaps back to normal. I see this more as a cracked solder joint (thermal stress & vibration) on the PCB board in the regulator. At the very least, check the quick disconnects at the regulator and the grounding studs spoken about earlier..

Hmmmm Hoople that is a very astute forecast. Mavagrand I can relate to your not having the funds for a stator etc now, but Hoople has an excellent point there. I would definitely keep an eye on the volt meter. The new battery can make it read higher but if the charging system is not doing it's job it's only a matter of time before the battery becomes overloaded again.

I forgot did you ever actually disconnect the stator and test it's output ? I would defiinitely test it and the regulator just to give you a heads up on what you are up against. And of course the ground checks.

It's baaaccckk! Charging issue has returned. I was thinking, when I installed the VR, I didn't use any lock/star washers. Would that create this type of problem?? I didn't think they were necessary since the VR has a grounding wire.

Back