free website stats program Electrical Issue 2010 flhtcu | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Issue 2010 flhtcu

pjciii

I outsmarted myself by plugging is a standard 12v GPS cord into the cigar lighter. now i have no power to it. if i am reading service manual right it is inline with the ACC curcuit and should be fuse number 4 15a P & A. does anyone know if this is correct. i dont know hardly anything about electrical and reading diagram. i read troubleshooting and have not a clue what it is telling me. touch center of socket and ground at outer shell??? was trying to use regular car GPS for up and coming trip..
thanks patrick

For a 2009 FLHTC, the cigar lighter is protected by the 15 amp P&A fuse. I can't imagine the 2010 would be different.

That same fuse also supports the accessory connector. The answer to your question would be yes.

Sounds like a fuse to me. I have been using the cigar lighter for my GPS without issues. I also have a plug that has a USB outlet that I plug into the cigar lighter for charging my cell and IPod.

I recently read of a similar problem a 2010 owner was having and he discovered that the wires were connected wrong at the cigar unit, behing the fairing. When you get power back you can confirm this with a multimeter to check the polarity in yours. He inverted the wires and the problem was solved.

I know the HD manual says that the cigar lighter should not be used for the things we are talking about. I installed the additional power supply in the tour pak and that works great.

i have a plug that fits my outlet for the battery tender. we have a local guy around that has them made and sells them. i use it for the gps and cell phone since the manual says not to hook up electronics to the lighter plug. use it on the rk as well since i put a tender on it.

ok, pulled the side cover and plled the fuse. it was blown. picked up new fuse 15a and some spares and a maxi 40a while i was at it. put the new fuse in and before trying it again pulled outer fairing off. Hoople you were correct on the location for me. thanks. i took a chance on what bavery said and tested the lighter. after pulling the fairing i found they had the connections crossed so i connected red to center connection and black to outer plug and tested the change. lighter worked, acc switch worked. plugged in gps and fired it up and it worked. no blown fuse. disconnected anf tried lighter again and all ok. put everything back together and proceeding with packing. the bike will be picked up next week and delivered to salt lake city at the hotel i will be staying in on the 28th of july. riding up thru yellowstone, thru wyoming, montana,and then to sturgis on 5th thru 14th. back thru minnesota and around superior ans back to georgia on 20th of aug...getting excited and this issue is out of the way. thanks
patrick

Back