Electrical HELP

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by MASA, Jun 12, 2009.

1. MASA

MASA Member

i've looked at the help section but haven't found anything that is the same problem i'm having. I've got a pull behind trailer for my 08' Ultra. The wiring i can't figure out. I can't get all 3 lights to work together (blinker, break, running). It's either running & blinker or break and running. Is there a wiring conversion kit out there some place to fix this or is there another way to wire it?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

It's just a matter of isolating the different circuits on the trailer.

On the bike the colors for the rear lights are...
    Blue wire = Running lights
    Purple wire = Brake light (brighter filament)
    Black wire = Ground
    These are usually found under the seat where they pass through the rear fender.

It may be easier for you if you use a 12V source and ground and probe the plug on the trailer to light the different lights and wire them accordingly to the bike.

3. amckay63

amckay63 Member

Are you using a 6-pin round or 4-pin flat? I don't know about the 4 pin, but with the 6 you should have 5 wires connected- 1 for RT, 1 for LT, 1 for TL (tail), 1 for ground and 1 for brakes (a lot of wiring diagrams for these connectors call that pin 12V)

4. MASA

MASA Member

already had this conversertion kit, when i started hooking up lights for trailer the left side brake & turn quit working.

i got the wiring kit from Werks with a 5 pin hook-up. I've tried all kinds of combinations of wiring but can't seem to find the right one. The lights on the trailer are LED if that makes a difference.

5. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

If the lights on the bike are working right,toss the trailer converter you have and buy a powered light converter.The one I install for people is listed for use in a 1998 ford windstar.I have never had a problem and they put no drain on your electrical system.
    Your trailer wiring is:White-ground
    Yellow-LT/Brake
    Green- RT/Brake
    Brown-clearance lamps

Hope this helps you out.

6. Tom James

Tom James New Member

I have a 2012 Street Bob. My son put a relocation kit for his turn signals on it. We wired the turn signals and they were color coded. The turn signals work but the running lights don't. Any clues?