free website stats program Electrical help Please | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical help Please

BillZ

Hey Gentlemen....My first post. I was on a 50 mile ride today on my 95 Low Rider, when I noticed the tach was going crazy...basically all the way around. Performence was not affected unless I really tried to increase speed, then I sensed a hesitation. Once I stopped at my destination, the bike was dead, no crank...no lights...nothing. I was able to puff start and limp home at the end of the day......but the electrical system seem to be dead. I do seem to smell an electrical smell under the seat...any thoughts?

Yup. Check the battery connections and the wiring under the seat and side covers. Then, I would pull the primary access cover and sniff. If you smell burned electrics in there your stator shorted. Sounds exactly what happened to me with my 07 Ultra... Only I had a voltage gauge that gave me a warning beforehand so I could worry about it for an hour before it quit. They changed out the voltage regulator and all was right with the world.

Hey Gentlemen....My first post. I was on a 50 mile ride today on my 95 Low Rider, when I noticed the tach was going crazy...basically all the way around. Performence was not affected unless I really tried to increase speed, then I sensed a hesitation. Once I stopped at my destination, the bike was dead, no crank...no lights...nothing. I was able to puff start and limp home at the end of the day......but the electrical system seem to be dead. I do seem to smell an electrical smell under the seat...any thoughts?

welcome to the forum...i would also check the wiring harness, you might have a part of it that has rubbed though and has shortened out. also check all your grounds

i am sure hoople with be along soon and he will fix you up

Getting the seat off is the first thing to do i would suspect from your description of events that one of the battery terminals has come loose and there has been a wee bit of arcing between the cable end and the battery post

Brian

Thanks for the input guys....Checked battery cables...they are tight. But, with seat off...I noticed the electrical connector that plugs into a module at the front of the rear fender looks burned. There are 7 wires going into it. Here's what else I found...I had a pigtail on battery, for a battery charger, and it looked like the end cap on the pigtail came loose. This may have touched bare metal to bare metal. Next step...figure out what fried. To answer some questions. I have had a volatage regulator replaced at the shop in the last couple of years....haven't had a chance to explore further into electronics on the bike yet....hopefully today...I'll let you know what I find.

Repair all damaged wiring , fully charge battery http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-47714.html Follow this link, open up inspection cover and smell the fluid does it smell burned? When you have a dead short and total loss of battery power things can get ugly fast, hoping you do not have major issues here report back what you find and Good Luck

Electrical Help--Update!

Started investigating electrical system on my 95 Low Rider (See previous post). I found that the turn signal module was fried...basically melted. On connector going to the module...one of the pins (from orange/white wire) was black....melted part of the plastic connector.

Now the question is: Was it merely a failure of the turn signal module (an original part), or was it fried because of some other failure...like voltage regulator? Regulator on bike was replaced about 2 years ago.

Back