free website stats program Electrical Gremlins | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Gremlins

My 2004 Ultra has had this issue for over 6 years. Can never count on it starting using the starter button. Very frustrating... no dealer has ever found the issue. I think it's simply a problem in the wiring harness from the right hand controls. However, instead of fighting it I just did a work around... below is a link to what I purchased... not the exact item, but same idea. I've had it on for 6 years now. Works every time. Just add this as a back up.

Chrome Solenoid Starter Button Cover for Harley-Davidson

3 times now over the last few months when I have hit the start button,nothing!

Since the problem is fairly intermittent (3 times in a few months),,to pinpoint the exact cause for your problem would require some testing on your part when the bike fails to start.

Your bike is a 2010 which is still under factory warranty. Is this something you really want to troubleshoot yourself ?

it's a multi terminal switch. thats why the neutral light still works.

I thought the 2010 neutral safety switch was SPST and not DPST. Based on the 2009 schematics, I'm seeing the neutral safety switch is just 2 terminals and the body of the switch is not an electrical connection. It looks to be just a SPST switch.

Was there a change from 2009 to 2010?

The neutral switch has 2 pins,you can connect the wires either way around it does'nt matter..
Yes Hoople bike is under warranty,so i'm not that worried about it.However it's a 2 hour ride to the dealers and because it only happens now and then I cant get it too do it when i'm there.I thought if I could get some ideas then next time it happens I can check it out at home..
So i'll just have to wait for it to do it again and see if I can pinpoint the problem then...Thanks for all the replies everyone.....

Cheer's WAZ

I just checked for codes again and this time b1155 showed up,I've cleared it and when this rain clears i'll go for a ride and see if it re-occurs...

Thanks again for all the advice......WAZ....

b1155. (Neutral switch short to ground).
That is really strange because when the switch shorts to ground, it enables the TSSM to start the engine. A short to ground would also turn on the neutral light "ON" ALL the time. Both (problems) of which you don't have.

The code can't just set when the ECM sees the switch short to ground because that is what it actually does when you shift the trans into neutral. I believe the code is set when the ECM sees the neutral switch shorted to ground, at the same time it sees the 6th speed light come on. It see your in 6th gear with a VSS ground speed and in neutral all at the same time and therefore throws a code.
(just a theory)

So anyway if you want to test the switch, disconnect the wires going to the neutral switch. See if either prong to frame ground reads any resistance. It should read Infinity. Be sure to have your meter in at least the 200K or 20meg range. Anything value other than infinity is bad.

Then read across the two pins with your ohm meter in the 200 ohm scale while the bike is in neutral. You should read less than 5 ohms. Now place the tranny in any gear and switch your meter to the 20meg range and read the resistance between the two pins. Should read infinity or greater than 20meg ohm..

Thanks for the info Hoople,I'm starting the think the problem is at the security module end as I have issues with that every time the bike gets wet....thats another story!!!!!
So I will run those tests that you have listed that way I will be able to rule out the neutral switch as the cause.....Thanks again Hoople...

cheer's WAZ!!!

Back