free website stats program electrical gremlin | Harley Davidson Forums

electrical gremlin

jeff_53

hi all
im JEFF_53 from sydney australia
yesterday,halfway through a 200 mile trip travelling uphill(very big hill) at 110 km/hr a sudden drop in power occurred -felt like i had let go of throttle or running on 1 cyl-no coughing or backfire or fuel leaks but wildly oscellating speedo & taco gauge then all drop to zero also mileage window goes blank-but illumination ok-i pullover to breakdown lane(was 3 lane highway)motor still running-all lights horn blinkers at full power
i turn off motor get off & look bike over- nothing obvious-try to restart bike-only clicking sound -check battery no corrosion or leaks all other electrical function ok
turn bike around(im parked uphill) & try to clutch start-nothing-not even a cough or pop-call bike salvage van-now at home-what next-no exp with multimetres etc

There have been numerous similar problems caused by loose battery cable connections. Check for tight connection of the cables at the battery. If all is good, trace both cables and check for tightness at the other end. The ground cable connects to the frame behind the battery box. May be easiest to remove battery and battery box for clean access to this grounding point.

after 2 days contemplation-removed and thoroughly checked battery,terminals,wires-all tight,clean,no corrosion etc.battery charged and put back in bike-fired up(this is original battery-4.5 years old-2004 fxdl owned from new never missed a beat untill above,i will get new battery but i figure something is draining or not recharging)but new problem now-terrible backfiring with flames out exhaust for 5 min-turn bike off-now contemplating again

Back