free website stats program Electrical Failure on Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Failure on Sportster

Rod T

I hit a bump yesterday and my bike completly shut down. There is no power whatsoever when I turn the ignition key, I have recharged the battery, all the fuses look ok but I get no power at all. When I connect the battery I always hear the electronic devices kicking in and this time I don't hear anything happening. I don't see any frayed wires, the bike is always stored inside so there is no corrosion....I don't use the security alarm so I don't think that is the problem. It was a big bump I hit...and the bike instantly shut down electronically and the motor sputtered for a few seconds and then finally shut off.

Any ideas before I tow it to a shop to get it fixed?

Thanks.

RJT

I would start with the battery and load test it or check the voltage for openers. From there check the cable connections on it. Remove, clean and reattach them NEG off first and on last. After that check the other ends of the battery cables for a good connection. Test the fuses with a test light on both ends of the fuse and ascertain if there is any corrosion behind the fuses.

remove and clean the battery terminals.Then follow those terminal wires all the way to the other end.It sounds like a terminal wire came loose or broke due to long term ware.

No horn. No lights.
Almost sounds like the battery ground cable is loose. Maxi Fuse etc.

If battery checks out and battery connections are OK. Turn the key to ignition (IGN). Take a meter and measure between frame ground and any of the fuses. You should have power on Several fuses. Some fuses will not have power but several should with just the key set to IGN.

Big bump, check under rear fender, may have grounded out the license, tail light and blew fuse. Total dead would be something major like the maxifuse as you should have some lights or power, also check primary wiring to battery, grounds connections, both ends.

If totally DEAD with NO juice LOOK for a Broken Battery Ground cable or a Positive Broken cable... ( I can't remember which one is tied to the post) around where HD puts them TOO TIGHT and ties them to a vertical post under seat.. Not sure if your model bike has had this problem but Mine did..

signed....BUBIE:D

No horn. No lights.
Almost sounds like the battery ground cable is loose. Maxi Fuse etc.

If battery checks out and battery connections are OK. Turn the key to ignition (IGN). Take a meter and measure between frame ground and any of the fuses. You should have power on Several fuses. Some fuses will not have power but several should with just the key set to IGN.

I agree, probably the battery ground cable.

This is where a test light comes in handy, if you dont already have one put it on your list. It is the quickest way I have found for checking grounds.:s

Back