free website stats program El bruto 127 ci | Harley Davidson Forums

El bruto 127 ci

OK,Ive aquired my friend 127 EL Bruto.Between the wife and kids,he just doesnt give it the love it needs.Im working on it and will still let him ride it.I have 2 problems.It was puking oil like crazy.I did some research and deturmined it was wet sumping.I found the oil level way too high and adjusted it.Now its not puking.My question is,there is a breather fitting,on the engine block next to the oil pump housing.I dont see this fitting on my similar looking evo motor.This is where it was puking oil from.With proper oil level,no sumping,but,that fitting actually has "wind' coming out of it.The bike had sat a couple years.Do I have massive blow by,like a stuck compression ring? Or is this normal on the Ultima 127 and I should stop freaking out over it???

After doing some research, it appears that motor does not breath thru the heads. Viewing the picture, the fitting I think you are talking about is just above the oil pump. Since this motor appears to not breath thru it's heads, it's the vent for the engine breather. Therefore it should be normal to feel air movement when the engine is running. It should have some type of filter to keep it from pulling dirt into the motor.

Attachments

• ElBruto2.jpg
    ElBruto2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 34
Thanks man,but the line I see in that picture,is the vent that goes to the oil tank.The one I question,is lower,and to the left of that

It will be the crankcase breather same as the evo engines up to 92 in 93 the evo went to head breathers
As a piston goes down in the engine the air in the crankcase that is pushed by the piston has to go somewhere or the crankcase will pressurise and blow all the oil seals
you should fit a crankcase breather filter on the top of the breather

Brian

Im more confused now.Someone used the 1992 style lower breather,but also used the 1993 and later style rocker box pcv system.But,all three are on rubber hoses that exit under the bike.Nothing looks hooked up right here

My softail is a late 92 model and has the crankcase breather on the crankcase but is also fitted with breather heads solid bolts in the head breathers block them off and the crankcase breather is what is used it came with a hose from the breather which fed into the rear of the stock air box
when i upgraded the air cleaner i cut the hose close to the crankcase and fitted a filter to it and eliminated the head breather components from the new air cleaner setup and retained the original solid head bolts

Brian

Thanks man,ya got my brain rolling.To be clear,Im thinking of blocking off the heads,eliminating the 3 feet of rubber line that runs under the bike.Turning the crank breather upwards and adding the filter to the end of it....Chris

My '92 Dyna is like Fin's '92 Softail. It has a functional crank case breather, but the heads are cast for breathers. H.D. did this in preparation for the '93 model year change. Mine came with solid bolts, and no umbrella valve assemblys.
Some aftermarket engine manufacturers used the head breather set up, some used the crankcase breather. If you don't have the umbrella valves and use hollow bolts, you will get an amazing amount of oil out of the heads.:D
A fairly reliable way to check if there are umbrella valves, is to put a finger over the head breather hole while running. Umbrella valves will push air out, but very little to suck in.

Back