free website stats program EG problem | Harley Davidson Forums

EG problem

01 rk

While riding my EG the radio, speedo, tach and turn signals all stopped working, the lights and brake lights were ok. I thought a fuse had blown. Went straight home and pulled the fuse cover and checked for a blown fuse, all were ok, started the bike and every thing worked. I'm baffeled, no codes and everything works. Has this happened to anyone else? Anybody know what could have caused this?
Thanks
Dave

Be sure to make sure battery cables are clean and secure at both ends.

When you pulled the fuses did you see any corrosion in the contacts?
If so pull them again and clean the contacts and apply a small amount of dialectric grease to them before re-inserting the fuses.

The fuses showed no sign of corrosion. I will apply the dielectric grease.
The battery cables should be tight, I cleaned and reinstalled them just about a month ago. I will check them again.

While riding my EG the radio, speedo, tach and turn signals all stopped working, the lights and brake lights were ok. I thought a fuse had blown.

When you say the radio, speedo and tach stopped working, do you mean just the lights for the instruments or the instrument itself. With the engine running, both needles were on ZERO and the radio stopped playing?
Turns signal were out=> front, rear, left & right all stopped or failed to flash?

You also said, "I'm baffeled, no codes and everything works".
Meaning the problem went away by itself and now everything is working again?

When you say the radio, speedo and tach stopped working, do you mean just the lights for the instruments or the instrument itself. With the engine running, both needles were on ZERO and the radio stopped playing?
Turns signal were out=> front, rear, left & right all stopped or failed to flash?

Good point here, the answer is? Electrical problems do not fix them selves, Re check every thing, you do not want this to happen in the middle of no where, not to mention a voltage spike could do damage to sensitive components , I would do a charging system test and load test the battery, at least you would verify the connections @ the battery, JMO

Check your grounds in the faring area. In order for electrical things to work it has to have both. Good luck & keep us informed.

Toby

Yes, I was moving and the radio went off, I looked at the dash and saw both the tach and speedo were on zero, other instruments worked, I tried the turn signals, they did not work.
The head light, tail and brake light all worked. It was daylight so I don't know if the dash lights were on. As soon as I got home I checked the fuses, finding none blown I started the bike and everything worked.
My primary ride is the '06 flhtc, I still have my '01 RK it has 88k on it

It sounds like a grounding problem with the dash and related equipment. Check at the trees for a ground strap that may be loose or broken.

Back