free website stats program efi idle | Harley Davidson Forums

efi idle

It is done from a look up table in the ECM. Using a SERT you can change the table for both warm up idle and basic idle. There is no mechanical screw involved.. It is done off the IAC stepper.

Hoop!

I really don't know. SERT is the only one I have used. I am sure others will chime in & you will find your answer.

Hoop!

it's not recomended to lower the idle as you need to keep the oil going up to the rockers and the higher ide keeps the oil pressure up.

well smitty, I don't want to lower it too much, just a little. listening to other efi harleys at idle, it seems like mine is idled a little too high. It sounds different when it's completly warmed up. Kind of like a sewing machine, if you know what I mean. This is my first efi harley and I bought it used. It is a stock 2004 road king classic with 8k on it. I actually thought about converting it back to a carb because of this and also because of the tuning issues that you read about. I don't want to be dependant on a shop somewhere everytime I want to change something.

Is there any way to lower the idle of a efi bike? How would you do this?

Lowering the idle will not only lower the oil pressure but the alternator output also which is needed to keep up with the fuel pump etc on the FI bikes. The lowering of the idle will only be a temporary thing as the ECM will return it to the pre set idle speed of 950-150 RPM's. All you accomplish if you try is to change all the settings like the TPS which is needed to deliver the proper fuel, timing and other necessary parameters to the engine.

Thanks guys for the replies. I just printed out the code instructions from the self help area. I'm going to do some checking tomorrow morning and see what I can find out on the dtc's if I have any. Glider, the idle only seems to be too high when the engine is fully warmed up and when I come to a stop. I haven't checked for the codes yet. Maybe something will show up. I saw something in the self help section about a little hole that can get clogged up in the tb that could cause irregular idle speed also. I'll check that as well.

The clogged hole you refer to is on the Morelli bikes, not yours with the Delphi system. You may want to clean the orifice where the stepper motor is, if they are dirty the idle will be erratic.

#3 in this pic and you can see it inside the intake tract if you remove the air cleaner.

Inductionmodule.jpg

Back