free website stats program Educating myself on a Harley purchase. Any advice? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Educating myself on a Harley purchase. Any advice?

Thanks guys. I am a pretty decent mechanic and I do know my way around sport bikes. Upgrades like intakes, pipes or accessories would be something that I do myself. i have never been inside a motorcycle engine though so I would probably take that to a qualified mechanic for any internal issues.

How would i go about purchasing a used bike. I definately don't have the cash in hand to purchase outright. Anything I get will have to be financed. How do I approach an individual with this? I am pretty sure the bank will not just hand me a stack of cash without seeing the bike???

Thanks
Wade

If you are leaning towards a used bike, ask to see repair records, they will be more important than add ons to the bike IMO

IMO
Couple of things to consider if you are a tightwad like me.

If you buy new and want to "pirty it up" and do some mods, plan on 2-5k more than displayed price. I went out and rode the new Road King. Sweet, very sweet, I just couldnt justify the bucks after all my desired add-ons.

Used - My 03 RKC had all of the bells and whistles on it when purchased ( at dealer). 3-4 years ago when I purchased it, I compared this bike to new ( loaded) 10,900 vs 24,600. Yes, the 103's are nice....but the 88's and 96's have been around a while and are still kicking. I cruise at 70-80mph, she starts every time and I can walk out there right now and have full confidence in a 500 mile ride with my 88. ( I just jinxed myself didnt I? Stay tuned :small3d031:)

Most importantly - SHOP AROUND and RIDE. When you sit on the right bike, you will know thats "The One". Dont be hasty, go slow, shop.

Be Safe and Best of Luck to you......Its out there, you just gotta find it.

How would i go about purchasing a used bike. I definately don't have the cash in hand to purchase outright. Anything I get will have to be financed. How do I approach an individual with this? I am pretty sure the bank will not just hand me a stack of cash without seeing the bike???

Thanks
Wade

Get pre-approved first from your bank or credit union then go shopping. My Credit Union will let me know that I'm approved to certain amount on a loan with no money out off my pocket.

I personally would buy used, can't afford new actually. Non the less lots of great deals out there used. Afraid you'll have to do some leg work for a bit. Good luck.

IMO
Couple of things to consider if you are a tightwad like me.

If you buy new and want to "pirty it up" and do some mods, plan on 2-5k more than displayed price. I went out and rode the new Road King. Sweet, very sweet, I just couldnt justify the bucks after all my desired add-ons.

Used - My 03 RKC had all of the bells and whistles on it when purchased ( at dealer). 3-4 years ago when I purchased it, I compared this bike to new ( loaded) 10,900 vs 24,600. Yes, the 103's are nice....but the 88's and 96's have been around a while and are still kicking. I cruise at 70-80mph, she starts every time and I can walk out there right now and have full confidence in a 500 mile ride with my 88. ( I just jinxed myself didnt I? Stay tuned :small3d031:)

Most importantly - SHOP AROUND and RIDE. When you sit on the right bike, you will know thats "The One". Dont be hasty, go slow, shop.

Be Safe and Best of Luck to you......Its out there, you just gotta find it.
I agree with all of the above. I bought mine used from a dealer ( '03 Ultra) it was loaded with extras. It must've had $5000.00 in add on bling. Too numerous to name. In all honesty I don't know if I would put all that money into a new bike if I bought one because I'd have to justify the $22,000. cost on top of the add ons. I think I'd be tapped out and it would be a slow process for me to save up for the things that I wanted.But, when someone else gussies it up for you in the way that you like ( shop around), it was their expense and not yours. There are a lot of fine bikes out there that are well maintained that can be bought for a good price if you are selective. Like Jack said, look for documentation on the servicing. Good luck in which ever path you choose to go! :s

Thank you guys!! I really appreciate all of the advice. I am leaning more towards the used path. Now I just have to finalize what I am looking for. I am pretty sure that due to my size the Road King is the way to go but I so like the fat rear tire look of some of the other HD models. I probably need to start this in a seperate thread though... :D

Wade

Back