free website stats program ecm question | Harley Davidson Forums

ecm question

Redman

Good day all....I have been looking at purchasing the screamin eagle air cleaner part #29253-08a. I have no fairing lowers so this seems to be the one. The question I have is that it states you will need to recalibrate the ECM ...is this not what I am doiing with my Doebeck TFI. Just want to make sure. thanks for the help.:small3d028:

Quick answer...yes. You'll probably have to tweak your TFI a bit after you've installed the AC but that's all you'll have to do until you change exhaust, etc.

Hey TQ ... thanks for your help. I guess I am wondering if after I add the heavy breather and I readjust my TFI is that the extent of what I need to do. I guess I dont understand the provision on the breather install that says you will need to adjust ecm. does this apply to those of us who are using a TFI ?

TQ has you covered. I don't think you'll have to do a thing to your ECM...just the adjustment to your TFI. If you had the slipons on the bike before, and all you're doing is changing the AC, you should just have to readjust the TFI. I could be wrong but I think that's all there is to it.

Hey TQ ... thanks for your help. I guess I am wondering if after I add the heavy breather and I readjust my TFI is that the extent of what I need to do. I guess I dont understand the provision on the breather install that says you will need to adjust ecm. does this apply to those of us who are using a TFI ?

Yeah, that is what they mean. Think about it: you have freed up the exhaust, and now you are freeing up the breather side. So, your huff and puff is gonna be getting more air easier, so it needs some more fuel to keep the AFR in the "good" range. The Factory setting on the ECM are notoriously lean to comply with the EPA requirements. Even the Stage 1 download is lean, so that is why the "adjust ECM" is recommended for the breather and pipes mods. Your TFI allows YOU to do all that and set the bike so it runs like you want it to. Dobeck will give you the starting points based on your set up, and then you can tweak to suit!!

TQ

Hey...thanks for the help all. I just wanted to make sure all is good with the adjust on the TFI and thats it. Thanks again for your time.

Just make sure your bike is fully warmed up before you try to adjust the TFI. Take it out for a short ride, then come back and adjust. If it's not fully warmed up, the Warm-up Enrichment tables are still being used and your green/idle pot wont be set properly.

From the SEPST program: Warm-up Enrichment tells the ECM to deliver additional fuel to both cylinders as the engine is warming up. These values are an AFR adjustment to the target value at that temperature.

You can read through my link that outlines my use of the TFI over a period of time.

TFI Red Pot Setting - 2009 Touring - Harley Davidson Community

Ride safe and have fun.

Back