free website stats program ECM info | Harley Davidson Forums

ECM info

mikeodle

need to know if i can use any ecm for a bt on my 06 fxsti as long as i have shop program it and set vin correct and also do ecm usually go bad do to speedo failure was in hail storm busted glass in speedo speedo fried in three days bike ran worse and worse

Welcome to the forum. It's hard to answer your question without a little more info. What kind of ecm are your trying to install? Is it made for an HD?

I doubt the speedo going bad caused the ecm failure but if your bike sat through a hail storm there is no telling what got damaged. Is the speedo the only thing broken on it? If the speedo glass was broken and water got in there you could potentially have further electrical issues.

need to know if i can use any ecm for a bt on my 06 fxsti

"for a bt"? What does bt mean. Without looking at a 2006 schematic I am pretty sure that the only circuit that is common between the speedo & ECM is the 2 wire buss channel and even if you were to short it out, you probably won't damage your ECM.
All things considered, ECM's are pretty rugged.

But to answer your question, if you reprogram (and remarry) another ECM (36 pin) with all the required info (maps), it would probably work.

Due to differences like processor speed between later year ECM's as only one instance, you would be better off getting an ECM that is matched to your bike. There are some other differences as well.

BT= Big Twin.

bt=Big Twin.. Did not realize.

If that's the case as Glider has already pointed out,, they are not the same. For starters my Big Twin ECM is 36 pin. An FLXX Big Twin is 72 pin.

Don't think they are interchangeable. :)

Due to differences like processor speed between later year ECM's as only one instance, you would be better off getting an ECM that is matched to your bike. There are some other differences as well.

BT= Big Twin.

Just find a ECM on ebay that matches your bike. I got one for 50 bucks that matches the year and model and i carry it on long trips.

You may be in for a big surprise when you plug it in. :)

Have you already tested it to see if it will handshake with your TSSM.
NO i have not I run a PC lll dyno tested and didnt want to mess things up just to experment. Its the same p/n as the bike ecm. The only reason i got it a friend got stuck a daytona (stealer) charged him $500 to replace it and for 50 bucks what could it hurt.

For $50 that's a steal. I understand where your coming from because I would have bought it also. My point was I don't think it will be "plug and play". Maybe more like a plug and PRAY. :)

Hey, if that Daytona Dealer was Rossmeyer, your friend got off Cheap for $500. That guy is a crook.

Back