free website stats program Easy start cams | Harley Davidson Forums

Easy start cams

Charlies Harley

Buddy has a 2010 heritage and asks me what I think of the SS easy start cams, I watched the vidio clip and looks ok but haven't any good or bad. First thought is just more to go wrong, any good or bad reviews? Thanks from my bud Trever.

Buddy has a 2010 heritage and asks me what I think of the SS easy start cams, I watched the vidio clip and looks ok but haven't any good or bad. First thought is just more to go wrong, any good or bad reviews? Thanks from my bud Trever.

American Iron Magazine did a write up on this, I don't remember the issue but if you check their site I believe you can read old articles:s

I fitted S&S 551 easy start cams to my 2008 FLSTN and my brother fitted easy start 583's to his 2008 FLSTF.

They've been in our bikes for maybe 13 months and we've had NO bad experiences with them.They work as advertised ;meaning that start-up is certainly less laboured and kinder to the starter and electrical system, and they sometimes make a click or clack kind of sound on shutdown(i think S & S mention that in one of their blurbs also)

I bought mine based on speaking to people here in Brisbane and also on the big,fat dyno chart on S & S's website.This dyno chart has since been altered and shows these cams to be somewhat weaker than previously described.(but still stronger than stock)The 583's are actually stronger-based on our comparison runs-and these are the ones that i would recommend for a Heritage.

Two things to consider:if you fit cams then you should also have already done a stage 1 upgrade,and secondly unless you remove the valve covers you'll need adjustable pushrods and probably new lifters and maybe even new valve springs(depending on mileage,the way you ride your bike and the lift of your new cam.)

So,do they work? Well,yes they do.The 583's have good low down through to upper mid-range grunt(with stage 1) and they certainly start easier.Another plus is that they come with better bearings included in the kit.Also remember that these are NOT new technology -compression release cams have been widely used in many different types of motors for years.

You could do worse than check out a series of posts by member "Sage Counsel" about 12 months ago regarding his,mine and others' experiences with these cams.

Biscuit - I sent you a PM about this and then found this post. Based upon the experience you have with the two bikes, would you recommend the 583 for an "older" Deluxe as well?

By older I really mean with the smaller 88 ci engine. The "07 and '06 are very much alike and i believe use the same pistons, etc. but the cranks are different. The 96 has 4 1/8 stroke while the 88 is only 4 (hence the 8 ci difference.).

I'm looking for some additional lower end torque up to about 3500 rpm (two up touring at 100 to 120 kph).

TNX, D

TX, i've sent you a reply-possibly not as definitive as you'd like-but i don't want to steer you wrong.The 583's are good for the 96 incher,but i've no experience with 88's.

Read my reply and then maybe curse me,:newsmile055:eek:r kiss me.:D

Sorry Mate-thats a joke.But this IS a serious subject.

No doubt about it, Cam changes are a very serious subject. I appreciate the info and for those interested in perhaps changing cams, Always ask the Manufacturer for their recommendations. I've done that and I'm waiting on a reply form the Tech Support folks.

I also "researched " online via the forums, etc. to see what the real world experience is with cams in similar applications even though they may not be the same engines, etc. They all perform differently but similar configurations should produce similar results and since many shops mechanics do not have the experience of the Manufacturer, I'm sure they speak from "word of mouth" often as well.

Appreciate all input regardless of source.

Thanks, D

Back