free website stats program Easy seat removal. | Harley Davidson Forums

Easy seat removal.

horizonchaser

Contributor
I have an '03 Ultra and it seems like every time I try to fasten the seat securely after having removed it, I either drop the screw to fasten it and then I can't seem to locate where i dropped it, or have a heck of a time just getting it started to screw it in, I can't get my hands in there so I resort to taping the screw onto my extended screwdriver. I was just wondering if anyone has a quick "on-off" solution to save me time ( and aggravation) every time I remove the seat.
Thanx!

I use magnetic screwdrivers with changeable heads and when the driver head is pulled out the magnetic tip can be extended and reach into difficult places to pick up the dropped screw

Brian

AH,,,, SHUCKS.... I late to the game...

I use a Little straight bladed screwdriver with the spring type clip Jaws that hold the screw into place, give it a turn or two into the hold... THEN get the Big Phillips out and give it the Gusto... Using the Star type lock, I never have it come loose.:s

CAREFUL of the Paint (don't ask) :shock

signed....BUBBIE

ADDED:

Some of my Seat Screws are slotted for Both Phillips and straight but the little straight one fits Phillips fine to get it started...

Here's a pic of my fumble finger solution. Ugly, yes but you can't see it with the tourpak on. From L to R, 1/4" x 20 all thread, jam nut, extend nut, all thread, jam nut, wing nut peened over. No more cussin'. When I take the tour pak off, I use the pretty chrome screw because I have a lot of room for my chubby fingers.

Attachments

• 640x480.jpg
    640x480.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 39
4738452lg.jpg
Lowes has these in stock:s

in a pinch a dab of grease on the screwdriver will work to hold the screw in place until you get it started

Wow! I didn't realize that there were so many innovative solutions!! I resorted to ripping off a three inch piece of masking tape and pushing the screw right dab in the middle of it and then taping it onto my extended screwdriver. Once fastened I just leave the tape there as it has done its job. I think I can fashion something like Breeze3at. This way I won't need to have the masking tape with me all of the time, and like he said, you can't see it with the tourpak on. :p
Great solutions! Glad I asked. :D Certainly a lot better than me cussin' every darn time I drop the screw and it almost seems to never hit the ground and I can never find it!!

Back