free website stats program Earth fault on my Sporty | Harley Davidson Forums

Earth fault on my Sporty

I've got a 2001 XL1200S, Last year I kept getting just a click when I pressed the starter button I found the live strap between Battery & starter motor had broke, I replaced this and all was Ok, I now have the same click, I've checked the same strap & it seems OK I've checked the Neutral Strap, that seems OK, If I charge the battery I just get a louder stronger Click,
I've found that if I keep touching the starter button or just feathering it then every now and then there will be no click but the motor will spin & start,
Once the motor is running then everything in the world is fine, turn it off & we are back to clicking,

I'm sure others will have some more ideas but I would make sure that all of the connections were clean and tight. I would also replace the starter relay (cheap) to see if that takes care of the problem.

If you are getting a click at the starter it would tend to indicate that the starter button and relay are ok and that the suspect areas would be the main cables to the battery or the starter solenoid
it is not uncommon for the earth strap and main battery strap to corrode internally and not carry sufficient load for starting

Brian

Back