free website stats program Ear Plugs vs. Speaker Sound Quality | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ear Plugs vs. Speaker Sound Quality

I had problems hearing the stock speakers at highway speeds; however, after I added HogTunes speakers and amp it was much better. Then, I added the HogPod and now, I have zero problems hearing crystal clear tunes (from the iPod) at 80 mph. The HogPod makes the "highs" much much easier to hear. I do have a buddy that swears wearing earplugs helps him hear the radio but I do not wear them.

You kind of missed the point of my post.

I have no problem hearing the tunes at highway speeds either when I DON'T wear ear plugs. I just think for the hearing protection I want to wear the plugs more often when I'll be cruising for extended periods at highway speeds and this is when the inexpensive drug store type plugs cause the music to sound muffled and/or distorted.

Doc, you have the right idea, going with a full face helmet will make the wind issue "remote" as the bulk of airflow will be bent away from the ears, while the sound will go right on through (it bends and permeates if loud enough), and may make the use of ear plugs unnecessary. Frankly, I have used full face helmet for virtually all my driving years UNTIL I got the Sportster, and have been very lucky having very little hearing loss (after long hours of rock & roll concerts and home headphone use). I cannot say the same for many people who used Walkmans and other in the ear bud or earphone driven high volume audio products. Go with your plan...without earphones or the unecessary ear plugs (with properly fitted helmet) should do you just fine. JMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice NewHD!

I'll try the full face with and without ear plugs and see how it goes. I don't know if I'm going to be able to stand wearing it in the heat and humidity of our Georgia summers but it should be fine 7 or 8 months out of the year.

Back