free website stats program E3 Spark Plugs | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

E3 Spark Plugs

I question the anti-knock also. "If" the computer is set to work with the stock plugs, do you have to re-set computer if Screamin' Eagle platinum plugs are installed?
wilks3

The threshold of when the Ion Sensor retards the spark is non-adjustable. You can turn the feature completely off but you can not change the sensitivity.

I question the anti-knock also. "If" the computer is set to work with the stock plugs, do you have to re-set computer if Screamin' Eagle platinum plugs are installed?
wilks3

A couple months ago or so some of us took resistance readings on a variety of plugs. They were all over the place including the HD plugs.
HD plugs are fine but so are the other common brands imo.

Actually it was the HD plugs that were wide spread in resistance (32K-4K). We actually never really closed out that thread with a defined solution or answer. It is still somewhat inconclusive.

I have no data to prove my theory but I still feel the Ion sensor subsystem is sometimes tricked into retarding the spark when it should not be kicked back. I myself disabled the Ion-sensor feature, re-curved my spark advance curves and now run NGK Iridiums. Bike seems to run better than ever. But like I said, it's just seat of the pants with no real hard data.

I wish there was no such thing as E10 fuel. That stuff is truly garbage.

Hoop, How do you turn it off of a 2010 FatBoy? Not saying I will but would like to know how.
I"m glad the EPA backed off on its stance to mandate E20 fuel.
wilks3

Actually it was the HD plugs that were wide spread in resistance (32K-4K). We actually never really closed out that thread with a defined solution or answer. It is still somewhat inconclusive.

I have no data to prove my theory but I still feel the Ion sensor subsystem is sometimes tricked into retarding the spark when it should not be kicked back. I myself disabled the Ion-sensor feature, re-curved my spark advance curves and now run NGK Iridiums. Bike seems to run better than ever. But like I said, it's just seat of the pants with no real hard data.

I wish there was no such thing as E10 fuel. That stuff is truly garbage.

And its going to get worse with EPA and CARB standards:(

Hoop, How do you turn it off of a 2010 FatBoy? Not saying I will but would like to know how.
I"m glad the EPA backed off on its stance to mandate E20 fuel.
wilks3

I did it using the SEST. There is a menu within the program that allows you to turn off (disable) that feature. It would be necessary to do that if you were really stepping up the compression ratio or doing anything that would really uplift your combustion pressures. I have both the 2009 and 2010 SEST software packages, and it is in both.

Good choice, if all your other ignition parts are up to the task, the spark plug is NOT the weak link. The moment of ignition is very brief moment in time...proper ignition coil, duty cycle to allow recovery for the next one is more of a key. HD plugs are a bargain, I did spend extra for the gold ones, but the gold "wears" though I do see the removal and reintall of the plugs will be a cinch if you remember to use anti-seize thread compound on the new plug threads.

Back