free website stats program E3 Spark Plugs | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

E3 Spark Plugs

I do agree. I was going to say he really should have installed a new set of 6R12's to cross check the NGK's right after the 2nd pull but I did not want to rain on the parade.

What I did find strange was that the Torque value remained the same and there was only an increase in H.P.
I would think a better flame front should have changed the torque by a 1/10 or two. It may be the display is in whole numbers,,. so there may have been an increase but was not enough to nose over the whole number digit.(?)

I do agree. I was going to say he really should have installed a new set of 6R12's to cross check the NGK's right after the 2nd pull but I did not want to rain on the parade.

I agree there, it's the only way to be objective and dyno can be made to say anything you want them to say if you are a good "operator" :s

I guess I'm old school..........just wondering how much my (self editied) Dyno'll notice that 1-2 tenth's of a pound of additional torque.
Been running good ol stock HD plugs for 8 years and haven't had a failure yet. I think the best tip for changin spark plugs is to gap em properly, use lubricant on the boot and connector and for God's sakes........don't over tighten em. But like I said I'm old, 56, and my rear end ain't as sencitive as it usta be.

The only plugs i have ever had any problem with are the plugs using the fine wire electrode.I know i was running rich when i experimented with this type plug and have since rejetted according to the self help tips(thanks)so i dont know whether the fine wire would pose a problem now or not. I think i have finally settled on e3s or acell u-grooves as they seem to perform the best.

I guess I'm old school..........just wondering how much my (self editied) Dyno'll notice that 1-2 tenth's of a pound of additional torque.
Been running good ol stock HD plugs for 8 years and haven't had a failure yet. I think the best tip for changin spark plugs is to gap em properly, use lubricant on the boot and connector and for God's sakes........don't over tighten em. But like I said I'm old, 56, and my rear end ain't as sencitive as it usta be.

I agree. I can not see feeling that small of an increase in Torque and Torque is really what you feel especially at low RPM's. I would also bet that 3 HP increase was upper band near redline so your not going to feel it just blasting off from a green stop light.

The only thing that really bothers me about the HD plugs (6R12's) is the crazy spread of the internal resistor. I can understand a couple of thousand ohms, but a spread of 25K based on a 34K plug when new.? That is insane to me. Mind you I have not seen any abnormal bike behavior due to it, but just knowing it is there makes me wonder.

Well once again I have tried to contact Delphi regarding the Ion Sensor, asking how dependent the plugs are for proper trigger threshold for knock retard. (no reply to 1st E-mail) The Division Responsible for that product development is located in Germany and the people here in the U.S. can not help me.

I sent off another E-mail, this time addressed to the Germany Plant. Lets see what happens.

Are the $20 in spark plugs worth the difference? I guess it is a personal thing. 2 or 3 hp, if that is the case(still up for discussion), most likely will not be noticed by the average rider on the street. I guess in a race environment every bit counts.

Very interesting.

The (4) plugs I received (DCPR7EIX 6046) were not pre-gapped like the video quoted. Unless you call .029" the gap you want to run.
I wish I knew what the gap on his plugs were. My engine spec is .038"-.043".
He maybe could have pulled even more of an increase.

Run the largest gap your ignition system can handle, better flame front:D

I have been running the E3's for a year now. I can't say that I noticed any differance, but I would suspect that one would have to run the bike on a dyno before and after to be able to see the differance, if any. My bike runs good so a small increase would be hard to tell by the seat of my pants.

I saw the E3s on TV and did some reading on their website. They didn't cost me that much more than HD's plugs so I figured why not. $20 isn't going to brake my bank.

I will probably get another set when it is time to change the plugs again. For me it is easier and cheaper than trying to index standard plugs. And yes there will be a debate as to weather or not indexing does anything to increase performance.

Bottom line is that they didn't hurt anything.

Elmo

Back