free website stats program E15 Approve - Impacts to our bikes? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

E15 Approve - Impacts to our bikes?

My concerns with the E15 is the higher moisture content which in Kansas at least makes condensation which in turn leads to corrosion. Any vehicle older than 2007 wasn't built to handle the higher moisture content. I'm not sure that stabilizers prevent corosion. Just my thought.

From STA-BIL web site

What Happens to Fuel When it is Stored?
Any fuel, be it gasoline, diesel, or heating fuel, is made up of many different organic compounds. These organic compounds are constantly changing over time becoming new compounds that change the characteristics of fuel. The same molecules that make up the best parts of gasoline can react with oxygen and other elements in the environment and form new molecules that build up to form gummy residues or varnish-like films that can clog up passages in fuel lines, carburetors, and injectors.
Some fuels are treated with oxidation inhibitors to allow them to be stored for up to 3 months without generating excessive deposits. Other fuels have no inhibitors at all. In any case, storage of equipment requires some special consideration for the fuel system.

Why Can't These Problems be Avoided by Draining Fuel?
One way to avoid most of these deposits is to completely drain the fuel tank and fuel lines. This procedure poses a number of problems. First, it is virtually impossible to get every drop of fuel out of the system by simply draining. In order to remove all fuel, lines must be blown out and dried, or enough fuel will remain to cause problems. Second, draining the fuel exposes the bare metal in the tank and fuel system to air and moisture which, together, can result in the formation of rust and corrosion and which can allow gaskets to dry out, crack and shrink, leading to fuel leaks when the system is refilled. Third, drained fuel is a fire and safety hazard and represents an environmental problem. Properly disposing of this fuel is difficult. For these reasons, draining is not the solution.

Does Fuel Stored in a Tank or Can Cause Problems?
Fuel stored in cans or tanks will also oxidize with many of the "bad acting" unstable molecules remaining in the solution. Using this fuel next season, greatly increases the likelihood that deposits will form in fuel systems while the equipment is used. In other words, stored fuel needs treatment too.

What Does STA-BIL Do?
STA-BIL is a blend of scientific additives all of which act together to prevent fuel from undergoing degradation and oxidation during prolonged storage. STA-BIL acts as a protective wrapper around fuel molecules so they cannot combine with oxygen or other molecules to form new "bad actor" molecules. The "sweetened" fuel will perform its job thereafter as though it had just been freshly pumped into the fuel tank straight from the refinery pipeline.

How Well Does STA-BIL Work?
Better than you can imagine. On average, STA-BIL improves gasoline life 5 times. The average gasoline is extended from 3 months oxidation life without STA-BIL to 15 months with STA-BIL. Compared to any other products pretending to extend fuel life, STA-BIL is 4 to 9 times more effective according to accepted standard fuel stability tests IASTM D5251.

STA-BIL says nothing about water and I found some independant data that confirms water stays seperated in fule with STA-BIL added

I found this product on the web, anyone use it?

K100 Fuel Treatment Eliminates Water

Thanks Porter and DR Evil, now we need some direction in how to protest this or lobby against it IMO

Thanks Porter and DR Evil, now we need some direction in how to protest this or lobby against it IMO

There are plenty of ways to stop this from happening, but most of them involve violence. There is too much money involved to listen to science (not consensus, "consensus" is specifically the opposite of science, remember when the consensus was the world was flat?) and common sense.

In my opinion, the only peaceful solution (assuming your vote actually counts) is America would need to vote EVERY incumbent (Democrat or Republican) out EVERY election. Gridlock is the best we can hope for.

It was 45 degrees here this morning on my ride to work. Perfect temperature for full leathers! Riding at dawn really lets it all melt away for me.

I will throw in my 2 cents worth here. I am not sure why. BUT, all my gasoline engines at home - other than automobiles that are used daily - have problems starting after sitting for just one month. Chain saws, push mowers, generators, weedeaters, everything. Like I said, I am not sure why, but I believe it has a lot to do with this ethonol gasoline. IF I let a chainsaw or generator sit over the winter for example, when I get it out to use, I have to clean the carbs EVERYTIME before it will even fire. Now days I am spending wayyyyy too much on stabil and carb cleaner than I like to admit. BTW - when using ethonol gasoline in your car or truck, you will NOT get as good of MPG as with gas without it, but you WILL pay the same price for it! I do not like E10, E15 or E anything.

Bill

The ethanol industry has been lobbying the USG to approve e15, they have not been making the money that they thought so they needed to force it on us.

The gas stations will not have different blends., it will all be E15, They only put the exemption in the law to make the voters feel good, voters can blame the gas companies instead.

Florida exempted marine gas, motorcycle gas, avation fuel and small engine gas from ethanol. BUt guess what, you cant find an ethanol free fuel source outside of many Marina's on the coast.

I get sick of being (EDIT) but in reality there is nothing we can do about it. and by the way Ethanol industry was a huge backer of Obama, McCain was against it.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
And it's driving the price of meat up:bigsmiley19:10% E gas 10% worse MPG and just as much emissions. The lawmakers don't have a clue about the laws their making 90% of the time and their getting alot more taxes $ (and under the table $) from the corn growers. Like Porter say's vote the lawmakers out.:small3d023:

This thread has split in two distinct directions. On the on side, will E15 be harmfull for my motorcycle. On the other, a government conspiracy. I think that the government gets high marks for replacing foreign oil with home grown ethanol. It makes no difference if the cost is higher to the end user. It's what makes the administration look like they are doing the right thing.

This thread has split in two distinct directions. On the on side, will E15 be harmfull for my motorcycle. On the other, a government conspiracy. I think that the government gets high marks for replacing foreign oil with home grown ethanol. It makes no difference if the cost is higher to the end user. It's what makes the administration look like they are doing the right thing.

There is no doubt this gas will be problems, try and find non alcohol gas in Minnesota it is mandated, here in Florida I cant find it and dont get me going on govt, involvement, DR Evil you should know about Govt and there problems LOL, Capital Jack:newsmile100:

E-10 has done lots of evil things to my 2 cycle boat motors,pressure washer, etc. Sta bil can't help with phase seperated fuel. Best to drain it all out if its going to sit a while.

Back