free website stats program E Mail Warning | Harley Davidson Forums

E Mail Warning

glider

Veteran Member
I received an email today that had someone elses name on it but still came into my email box.

It was from what appeared to be "Facebook" .
Out of curiosity I opened the email and it went on to say that my password had been changed to click on the link to recover the new password. I have a facebook account but I have never used it.

I got a virus warning pop up that this link contained a virus of unknown type and that it should not be opened which I didn't do.

Just a warning that if you don't recognize the email source best to delete it before it's too late.

Good advice.

I have 6 people I receive emails from. I have my email programmed so if one of their email addresses is not on the email it goes straight into the junk mail folder and is deleted. I never even see it.

That may sound a bit paranoid but I really think they are out to get me.:33:

Be careful about unsolicited e-mails, get one every now and then for Microsoft and HP...saying that they have an update...THINK, they have auto updates that do so WITHOUT e-mail prompt.

Major manufacturers do not use e-mail to contact you for updates...if you right click and find the source you will find a character added that redirects your e-mail response to their web address and they got you.

That is correct, major manufacturers do NOT send email updates via email, period. Just dont open anything that you are not 120% sure of. Even if on a Mac (esp on Facebook). If it doesnt look right or even if its from someone you know but seems out of context or odd coming from that person, delete it.

GREAT info -- thanks for reminders!!
My computer guy recommended that I do not set my computer up for automatic updates - I do that on regular basis.

CatWoman

My girlfriend was stressed out and panicking the other day. She came home and found her son sitting in front of the monitor which was lit up with pop-ups saying "My Documents has a serious virus threat", "Hard drive C is infected". She ran a program (Stop Sign) she found that took 8 hrs to run and "confirmed" her computer was infected. She was ready to throw $60 at this problem but she called sister-in-law who suggested another program which found no errors.

Also I recieved an e-mail from a friend recently which included a way to find out if I had been blocked by anyone on MSN. I don't think he sent this and I have seen this one twice before. It requests your MSN username and password. I think its a scam and didn't go any further

GREAT info -- thanks for reminders!!
My computer guy recommended that I do not set my computer up for automatic updates - I do that on regular basis.

CatWoman

Get a new computer guy, thats a bad idea. Automatic updates (from the operating system vendors) are one of the best ways to keep yourself protected.

Back