free website stats program E-85 in bikes anyone?!???! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

E-85 in bikes anyone?!???!

I have a 2008 Ford F150 that is flex fuel capatible that can run E85 but I don't. E85 needs to be 30% cheaper per gallon than regular fuel before you will break even because of the fewer miles per gallon you get with E85.

I have a 2008 Ford F150 that is flex fuel capatible that can run E85 but I don't. E85 needs to be 30% cheaper per gallon than regular fuel before you will break even because of the fewer miles per gallon you get with E85.

Hardly seems like burning MORE fuel is the answer for the environment either.

My Chevy Pickup will run it but I don't . Around here the E85 is only a few cents cheaper than 87 octane . And with the dropped mileage it's not worth it to me. And I wouldn't even think of using it in my Softail.

Sorry to say that to produce ethanol it takes more BTU's from Natural gas or electricity to make it than what the end result produces. Not to mention the fuel that is burned planting it, fertilizing, harvest and shipping. It's a no win situation. Being from Illinois I can see it is popular with the farmers but it only adds to the global warming affect we are trying to stop, not to mention adding to oil imports just to produce it. This country needs to commit itself to a hydrogen/electric economy with use of nuclear, wind, water, solar, and hopfully fusion power for the future. When and if Washington ever gets behind that and stops catering to the votes of the agricultural community and coal & oil industries things in this country will begin to look up. The only way I think this will happen is when the Chinese pass us by and then people will get behind it.

Sorry to say that to produce ethanol it takes more BTU's from Natural gas or electricity to make it than what the end result produces. Not to mention the fuel that is burned planting it, fertilizing, harvest and shipping. It's a no win situation. .

You are EXACTLY right. Problem is most don't know the truth and just jump on the wagon. Ethanol is a bad deal. To say that burning more fuel by not using it hurts the environment is just being uninformed. Truth is once you figure out all involved, you will learn that by using it you are doing more damage to the environment than NOT using it. That is just a fact. Good post otter.

hey there... Rather new here... Seeing ALOT of controversy with Ethanol!!! well, I can agree with alot of it. I does take ALOT of energy to make it, however, we run about 1 BTU to make 1.5 btu of ethanol. BUT, agreed, that does not include the planting the crops, shipping, ect. So.. Anyway, I have become semi-pro ethanol, as I work for an ethanol plant, for now! See how long it lasts! But, I run it in all my vehicles, partly because I get it for next to nothing, and I prefer the way it burns. In warm weather, at 100%, the harly gulps it like race fuel, rated at around 120 octane, she loves it! It burns much cooler, and has alot more torque. no dyno results yet, but.
I also like that, aside from the transport use of foriegn oil, its american made. We use the same, if not more oil to transport gas and diesel, so, thats a wash in my book. But, again, I agree its definately not the fuel answer we need, but, in many ways, does help some.
As for fuel economy. I lost 5mpg on the harley, 2mpg on the 2003 Z71 5.3 and about 6 on my sunfire 2.2liter.
All but the harley run e85 (105-108 octane).
Catch you all later,
Tony...

Back