free website stats program Dyno conspiracy theory. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyno conspiracy theory.

I know I've expressed my fondness for the Harley Davidson dealer in Gainesville, Fl., but after reading this thread I have to believe that they are truly one of the best HD dealers. I took my aftermatket parts to them and purchased an SERT from them. When I picked up the bike they made the final DYNO run while I was there, buttoned up the bike cleaned it up, handed me the SERT with cables and CD, a printout with HP,Tq and AFR, and had all the OEM parts ready for me to take home. Sounds like some dealers are not interested in repeat business. Gainesville Harley Davidson Rocks!!!

on second thought, it doesnt really matter. Its entirely possible that the stock map is not materially different from a dyno tune, and paying another $300 wont buy me much (other than peace of mind), but if a stock map is what I got, I shouldt be paying for dyno time

I learned a very valuable lesson, not to trust the dealers, for all the money I spend at my local dealer and be treated how they treated me, to now using a dealer over 100 miles from me, oh yeah, and the came and picked my bike up, and are going to bring it back tomorrow, at no charge, only charged me for the full dyno tune, now them I trust. Heck, I went down to my local dealer one day and ended up spending 500.00 more than I wanted, I always buy something for my bike from them, not no more, I will take my business elsewhere.

Keith,
I know somewhat how you feel about the entire ordeal. Just the other day I kind of went through this ordeal with my stepdaughters car. She purchased new tires and the shop told me point blank I would get a "Before" and "After" sheet with the alinement specs of her car. I wanted to see it because the car was eating front tires like crazy. She comes home and I look at the Spec sheet and it has NO before readings along with No present caster readings. (that field was Blank.) I get on the horn and talked to the service manager. He tells me "the field is Blank because on that car the Caster is not adjustable". I said "I know that, but I still want to know what the caster reading was. Does that mean because it was not adjustable, you did not perform the measurement.?"

He then said bring the car back and we will re-do it and give you the Caster readings.

What I should have said was if the alinement is $75 and that includes Camber, Caster & toe readings, do I get a break because you only can do 2 adjustments?
The entire industry is in a profit to work ratio mode. How they sleep at night is beyond me.

on second thought, it doesnt really matter. Its entirely possible that the stock map is not materially different from a dyno tune, and paying another $300 wont buy me much (other than peace of mind), but if a stock map is what I got, I shouldt be paying for dyno time

I don't want you to feel any worse but.....
There is a problem with that theory. Since it is a canned stock HD Map, I promise you that a big portion of your cruise A/F ratio map is going to be in the low to mid 14's so your exhaust gases are probably not going to be any cooler..

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the lightning got me. :wall

I don't want you to feel any worse but.....
There is a problem with that theory. Since it is a canned stock HD Map, I promise you that a big portion of your cruise A/F ratio map is going to be in the low to mid 14's so your exhaust gases are probably not going to be any cooler..

So the printout I got says its pretty constant at about 13.2 to 13.4 - but who knows if that is accurate at this point?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the tune was done on a DynoJet the printout usually should show a file name (like _001.drf), date, time, atmospheric conditions, and correction factor (SAE or STD usually) down at the bottom.

Other than that, it's possible that the differing printout numbers were 2 different pulls. The variation could be due to heat sink if the runs were back to back and no cool down.

So the printout I got says its pretty constant at about 13.2 to 13.4 - but who knows if that is accurate at this point?

It probably is very accurate. But remember that the A/F ratio that was printed is with 100% throttle and Not at a cruise percentage of say 25%. The Cruise A/F ratio will be more lean for sure. When the ECM sees the Throttle & Map sensors at steady state cruise speeds, it will shorten the injector pulse width which in turn will lean out the engine.

Back