free website stats program Dynamic Tire Balancing - but, not Dyna Beads | Harley Davidson Forums

Dynamic Tire Balancing - but, not Dyna Beads

bogiediver

Dynamic Tire Balancing - but, not Dyna Beads

I've started a long term review project of a device for dynamic balancing of tires/wheels.

'Centramatic Dynamic Tire/Wheel Balancer' at Home - bogie's Motorcycle Product Reviews

The concept is similar to the loose beads inserted into the tire/tube - only it's permanently mounted on the wheel in a self contained unit. Less mess and hassle - both when taking the old tires off and when putting the new tires on.

Check out the Part 1 write up for initial reactions and watch for updates posted as more miles are added on.

Very interesting concept. It will be interesting to see if you feel that the price difference between this and Dyna Beads is worth it. $275 for these babies is pretty steep, unless their claims for increase in tire life are pretty accurate.

Yeah, it does seem a bit high... but it is certainly easier being a one-time, no beads running away from you, operation. To some, me included, not having to hassle with it each time (and having to remember to do it - I'm old) also has some value. Especially when I'm hearing feedback that shops (3 I know of) won't put the beads in and get testy when they find them in a tire they are taking off.

In my opinion - tire life is what will tell the tale. For me, a 50% increase in tire life would mean I'd only buy 1 set of tires (a set being 2 rears and 1 front) every three years - at 15,000 miles a year (my '06 just turned 100,000); instead of every two years. Pretty much pay for itself by saving two rear tires. Then there are the intangibles of stability and handling improvements.

I'll do my best to keep ya'll posted...

Do you have any idea of the amount of weight that is in each of the balance units? I only ask to get an idea of the "compensation" (?) factor of the balancers being hub mounted approximately 7" further inboard than wheel weights or beads. There was a company (Fisher?) making crank mount, and clutch hub mount balance units that looked similar in principal in the 90's.

I've launched a query - I was unable to find the info, though I know I had it - getting old is no fun sometimes...

I'll get back to you...

Just wanted to give a quick update...

The more miles I put on, the more I like how these work. Smoother ride, better cornering - and, while I know it's not the smartest thing to do, I was able to ride for over 4 miles with no hands on the bars; straight as an arrow with not even a minor correction needed. Road snakes, pebbles & cracks deflected the wheel, but it self-corrected almost instantly. I have to presume it's the balances, because I can tell you that did not happen before having them installed.

I'll be back as I get more accumulated miles to be able to do some tread depth measurements.

Also wanted to post a link for a new demo video Centramatic created that is geared toward the motorcycle rider - give it a look:

Centramatic Balancers - YouTube

In my opinion - tire life is what will tell the tale. For me, a 50% increase in tire life would mean ..

I don't think you will ever see an increase like that in tire wear. For you to get that kind of number, your tires would have to feel like they were 4 sided before balancing.
I think the main reward is how the bike will feel when you ride it. When everything is balanced and true, it just makes it so much better and enjoyable.

I don't think you will ever see an increase like that in tire wear. For you to get that kind of number, your tires would have to feel like they were 4 sided before balancing.
I think the main reward is how the bike will feel when you ride it. When everything is balanced and true, it just makes it so much better and enjoyable.

Well - finally got to 15,000 miles and replaced the rear tire... a bit sooner than I had planned, but only about 1000 miles early. Details available in the updated long term review at Home - bogie's Motorcycle Product Reviews

Yep - 50% was a stretch - worked out in my test to be a bit over 16%. Had I not had drive belt issues, it likely would have approached 25% increased life.

But the handling, smoothness & even wear still make them a 'good recommendation' in my book.

Someone on another thread mentioned what these were like at speed... at 105 mph, country road in WI; nowhere near a perfect road surface - very smooth, handled great...

FWIW

I have had centramatics on my bike for just over 2.5 years now and just installed a set on my friends Ultra. They are well worth the price and greatly improve the feel of the bike at all speeds above about 30 mph. My front tire has 25 K and still has allot of tread the rear tire has 10K and is in the same shape as the front. The addition of centramatics plus being very careful with tire pressure has led to increased tire milage. The biggest change I noticed after installing them was at cruise speeds very smooth very stable.

Something I forgot to mention is give the company a call and talk to the man in charge of warranty dept. He can answer any questions you may have regarding Harley's and this product. He rides a Heritage and was in on the initial testing for Harley's. This product has been used on Goldwings for some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on talking to the company - everyone there is helpful...

I speak with Tom - he also has the balancers on his RK

Back