free website stats program Dyna VS Softail | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna VS Softail

Ok, guys , got a ??, what are the main differences in the ride of a Dyna and a Standard Softail? Both have the smaller front tires, but which one rides smoother or just plain handles better? I am still shopping for the right HD, but cant decide. My first choice would be the Heritage, but dont think I can afford it. So I am looking at the Dyna and Standard Softail. WHich one is better? Any comments would be great. thanks

Having owned one of each, I would go with the Dyna for a better ride. The position of the shocks and the travel is what makes the difference.

having owned a dyna with a narrow glide front end and my current bike is a wideglide the narrowglide seems to have a better feel

One thing to keep in mind is the 21" wheel on the WG. I changed mine to a 19" and it was much better and handled well not to mention a better ride too.

Not a thing, there's only about 3/8" difference in the tire height. It left a barely noticable additional space under the stock fender. Remember the 3/8" is overall height so half that and that's the additional space under the fender.

Hmmm, I don't know anything about the Dyna family, never having owned one. I am familiar with the Softtail Std. I have an "06" with 45,000 miles of riding on it.
At low speeds it is not a fun bike, it does not balance all that well. Sharp curves are not the fxst's forte. Long sweepers it is ok, my "sporty" was great on the sweepers, lay it down and roll the power on. The softy must be "horsed" around and never feels real solid compared to the sporty. Straight down the highway is fine.

I am convinced the "skinny tire" up front lends itself to the handling problem. The "fatty" in the back has a much larger foot print versus the front which can make for some interesting cornering from time to time depending upon conditions.

I NEVER ride in the rain unless I have been caught out in the open. NOT SAFE on a fxst imho.

Two up riding is fine and the "boss" and I have enjoyed riding all over Texas, Arkansas and lower Missouri. Good luck

Never owned either one as I progressed from a sporty to an RK to my ultra. But from a looks and dollar standpoint, I really like the Dyna Superglide. A beautiful looking bike just a few dollars more than a tricked out custom sportster.

Back