free website stats program Dyna tranny oil question | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna tranny oil question

jctx06hd

Can someone tell me what color the tranny fluid should be in a 2006 Streetbob. I developed an oil leak from the clutch cable at the handlebar lever. It has leaked a substantial amount of oil twice (after short rides - 25 and 15 miles). I checked the tranny fluid and it is creamy/yellow (like oil in a car with a blown headgasket). Is that the color of HD tranny fluid or do I have water in the tranny? It hasn't rained here in Texas in a looooooong time. The last wash the bike got was at the stealers when I took it in for service.
How can I flush the old oil out of the tranny?
Any recommendations - other than HD tranny fluid - to replace the oil with?
Thanks.

If you are getting oil out at the bars, your vent tube on the trans is probably blocked and the build up of pressure is forcing it up there.. Look for an inverted "J" vent line coming off the cover on the primary side.
Yellow or creamy as you put it sounds like water or moisture in the trans that isn't being cooked out with operational temps probably because of the blocked vent tube. The oil should look like clean oil and with a yellow/brownish color unlike engine oil which gets black with use..

Also, to answer your other question, there are quite a few choices and posts here about the different oils in the oil section. Spectro 6-speed appears to be the majority recommendation for your bike. That is what I am switching up to, hopefully this weekend, if it arrives (had to order it over the Internet, no where close that carried it).

Thanks for the reply. I checked the vent tube and it is not clogged.
The tranny appears to be over-filled....probably due to the addition of water.
I want to flush it and change the oil.
Do you have any suggestions for how to flush it and the type of oil to refill it with?
Thanks.

bwalsh22-
I have never heard anything good about Spec-6. Do you know of anyone that uses it? Lots of posts about damage that it does long-term. I was thinking Royal Purple or Amsoil. If I can't find anything else I may order the Spec-6, though. Thanks.

You could use an extra Qt of trans oil and run it through the trans or let it drain over night making sure the drain is at the lowest point and refill it.
Did you remove and check the vent, even the fitting it attaches to ? Maybe try come compressed air through it when you drain the oil and the plug is out to be sure.

bwalsh22-
I have never heard anything good about Spec-6. Do you know of anyone that uses it? Lots of posts about damage that it does long-term. I was thinking Royal Purple or Amsoil. If I can't find anything else I may order the Spec-6, though. Thanks.

I've used it and there are a lot that have here too. Never had a bad experience with it or even heard of one for that matter. Spectro oils have been around for a long time and I have used it quite some time back too with good results then too.

I have read the posts about Spec-6 on the HDForum site. Actually, I have never heard of Spec=6 until I read about it there.
I have never pressure washed the bike....only hand wash. It was washed at the dealers when I took it in for service....and I don't know what they use to wash it. Hopefully they wouldn't pressure wash it...or get water in the tranny......but you never know.
I'm going to flush it and fill it...I guess with HD Formula +.
Thanks.

Back