Dyna Saddlebags - 79300-04

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by djzoohelp, Oct 22, 2008.

1. djzoohelp

djzoohelp Member

Thinking of picking up a set of these saddlebags. I have a 2006 catalog that lists these for my '02 Wide Glide, but they don't seem to be sold by Harley anymore. It's not a problem to buy a pair aftermarket, but I'm wondering if there's a reason these aren't sold anymore. Design problem or such?

Attached Files:

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Not sure about the bags you are referencing, but the bags on my Dyna were very heavy leather with a PLASTIC back facing the tire! The right one (above the pipes!) over time became very distorted from the exposure to the heat. I finally took them to a boot maker here in Texas that sandwiched a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum (that I had cut to shape) between some heavy leather sheets to create new backs. Don't think these will distort!!

This might explain why HD discontinued some bags.

TQ

3. threesteps

threesteps Junior Member

I have an '03 with the same style bags and the bags have held up well. However, I installed "Bare Backs" so that the bags were removable. I would guess 30% of my miles are with the saddle bags off. I'm don't know why harley isn't carrying the bags anymore.

4. BigTup

BigTup Account Removed

Mr Threesteps- what is Bare Backs? I have bolt on Harley bags on my Super Glide Custom and I wish they were easily removable. If I take them off I need to unbolt and the entire fender gets unbolted. Thanks.

5. threesteps

threesteps Junior Member

Bare Backs are replacements for the stock saddle bag "hard" bolt connections. I liked them because they didn't push my bags out from the bike like some aftermarket detach kits do. You may be able to find them at cyclevisions.com. However, I bought mine at Miller's Custom Parts in Daytona Beach, FL.